- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
Westboro Baptist Church plans Reddit protest over Aaron Swartz
“Reddit was co-founded by prominent member of Anonymous and cyber criminal.”
The protest will be on Aug. 12 from 5:35pm to 6pm.
“Reddit was co-founded by prominent member of Anonymous and cyber criminal Aaron Swartz,” Westboro states on its site. “Swartz was a poster boy for this online community: a fag, an atheist and a thief.”
Westboro is a small organization from Topeka, Kan., notorious for picketing the funerals of veterans and other events with provacative and hateful signs, such as “God Hates Fags.” The church was founded in 1931 by Fred Phelps, a disbarred lawyer. Phelps died in March at the age of 84.
The timing of WBC’s protest is unclear considering Swartz was born on Nov. 8, 1986, and died on Jan.11, 2013, at the age of 26. Swartz committed suicide before a looming trial that threatened to severely punish him for downloading academic articles from JSTOR.
The Daily Dot has reached out to WBC for a comment regarding the size and goal of its Reddit protest.
The WBC will hold an AMA (“ask me anything”) on Aug. 10.
“Westboro Baptist Church will use the Reddit platform, which is usually filled with vanity, science falsely so-called, and other sundry lies; to instead preach righteousness & spread the gospel,” the church added.
On Aug. 12 WBC will also picket at Apple, Facebook, Skype, Twitter, Google, and Pinterest’s headquarters in California for “pushing fag propaganda.”
On Reddit’s r/news, the community is encouraging people to ignore the AMA and teach WBC a lesson.
“Every time they go somewhere reddit will post the number of people who they have in attendance, and based on the number, ask on reddit for that many donations to troops and LGBT organizations, or any other good charity groups,” one Reddit user commented. “We can make them into something good regardless of what they want to be.”
Photo by John Lemieux (CC BY-SA 2.0) (remix by Jason Reed)
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.