- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
2 Toronto firefighters sacked over sexist tweets
“Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms,” wrote one.
A guy named @hero_matt has some thoughts about women’s “defects.”
“Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms,” wrote Matt Bowman last November.
“I’d never let a woman kick my ass,” he tweeted in March. “If she tried something I’d be like hey! you get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!”
Toronto Fire suspended two with pay last month after media outlets published sexist tweets they’d posted. It then fired the pair on Monday following an investigation that revealed “several breaches” of the city’s social media policy.
Lawaun Edwards, who described himself as an “avid gym rat” in his bio, was the other firefighter sacked over tweets.
“[W]ould swat her in the back of the head been considered abuse or a way to reset the brain?” he asked in response to a friend’s June 5 tweet criticizing a woman for overusing the word “like.” Meanwhile, last month, he wrote, “the way to a woman’s heart is through anal.”
Bowman’s account is now suspended, while Edwards made his private.
“The City of Toronto nor Toronto Fire Services can condone such behaviour and hence the action to terminate the firefighters,” said a Toronto Fire spokesman.
The department would not reveal details about the third axed firefighter, though CityTV reported his firing was due to a Facebook photo.
Last month, the National Post ran the tweets in a story about the department’s battle to hire more women and minorities. Just 5.2 percent of department employees are women, and 4.2 percent are minorities.
Photo via msvg/Flickr
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.