- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
“Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms,” wrote one.
A guy named @hero_matt has some thoughts about women’s “defects.”
“Reject a woman and she will never let it go. One of the many defects of their kind. Also weak arms,” wrote Matt Bowman last November.
“I’d never let a woman kick my ass,” he tweeted in March. “If she tried something I’d be like hey! you get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!”
Toronto Fire suspended two with pay last month after media outlets published sexist tweets they’d posted. It then fired the pair on Monday following an investigation that revealed “several breaches” of the city’s social media policy.
Lawaun Edwards, who described himself as an “avid gym rat” in his bio, was the other firefighter sacked over tweets.
“[W]ould swat her in the back of the head been considered abuse or a way to reset the brain?” he asked in response to a friend’s June 5 tweet criticizing a woman for overusing the word “like.” Meanwhile, last month, he wrote, “the way to a woman’s heart is through anal.”
Bowman’s account is now suspended, while Edwards made his private.
“The City of Toronto nor Toronto Fire Services can condone such behaviour and hence the action to terminate the firefighters,” said a Toronto Fire spokesman.
The department would not reveal details about the third axed firefighter, though CityTV reported his firing was due to a Facebook photo.
Last month, the National Post ran the tweets in a story about the department’s battle to hire more women and minorities. Just 5.2 percent of department employees are women, and 4.2 percent are minorities.
Photo via msvg/Flickr
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.