- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
The Internet mourns Tuxedo Stanley, beloved politician and pet cat
Tuxedo Stanley, a Canadian cat who famously ran for mayor last fall, has died from kidney cancer.
The 4-year-old feline captured the world’s attention a year ago after its owner, Dr. Hugh Chisholm, had the cat run for mayor of Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia, Canada, under the Tuxedo Party. Stanley hoped to raise awareness regarding Halifax’s feral cat problem.
“I mean, we cats are natural born politicians,” Chisholm, a veterinarian, wrote on Stanley’s website, pretending to be the cat. “Look at Hank [the cat] who’s running for the U.S. senate or that old guy Stubbs up in Alaska. He’s been mayor for for 15 years! Personally, I think more cats would get involved in politics if it weren’t for the whole opposable thumb issue. The humans got the better end of that deal.”
Although Stanley’s campaign was ultimately unsuccessful (official ballot laws prevent animals from holding public office), that didn’t stop Cooper and DeGeneres from having some fun.
“We usually don’t take sides politically, but I think we’ll go ahead an make an unofficial endorsement for one candidate for mayor of Halifax. His name is Tuxedo Stan,” Cooper said during a segment called the RidicuList last fall. “I want to go to a Canadian dinner party as soon as possible, just sitting around the table, next thing you know, your cat is running for mayor.”
Following Stanley’s run, the city of Halifax provided $40,000 to the local SPCA in the cats name to “to help establish a low cost spay and neuter clinic,” the National Post reported.
Stanley fell ill in January and was euthanized while lying on his favourite rainbow rug Sunday.
“He died peacefully,” Chisholm told the Post. “He was sitting in my wife’s lap. She had his favourite mat, a rainbow rug he used to like to lay on by our door, and so he lay on the mat on her lap. … It was extremely hard to say goodbye to Stan. He was a very special cat.”
Photo via TuxedoStan.com
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.