- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
The Internet mourns Tuxedo Stanley, beloved politician and pet cat
Tuxedo Stanley, a Canadian cat who famously ran for mayor last fall, has died from kidney cancer.
The 4-year-old feline captured the world’s attention a year ago after its owner, Dr. Hugh Chisholm, had the cat run for mayor of Halifax Regional Municipality in Nova Scotia, Canada, under the Tuxedo Party. Stanley hoped to raise awareness regarding Halifax’s feral cat problem.
“I mean, we cats are natural born politicians,” Chisholm, a veterinarian, wrote on Stanley’s website, pretending to be the cat. “Look at Hank [the cat] who’s running for the U.S. senate or that old guy Stubbs up in Alaska. He’s been mayor for for 15 years! Personally, I think more cats would get involved in politics if it weren’t for the whole opposable thumb issue. The humans got the better end of that deal.”
Although Stanley’s campaign was ultimately unsuccessful (official ballot laws prevent animals from holding public office), that didn’t stop Cooper and DeGeneres from having some fun.
“We usually don’t take sides politically, but I think we’ll go ahead an make an unofficial endorsement for one candidate for mayor of Halifax. His name is Tuxedo Stan,” Cooper said during a segment called the RidicuList last fall. “I want to go to a Canadian dinner party as soon as possible, just sitting around the table, next thing you know, your cat is running for mayor.”
Following Stanley’s run, the city of Halifax provided $40,000 to the local SPCA in the cats name to “to help establish a low cost spay and neuter clinic,” the National Post reported.
Stanley fell ill in January and was euthanized while lying on his favourite rainbow rug Sunday.
“He died peacefully,” Chisholm told the Post. “He was sitting in my wife’s lap. She had his favourite mat, a rainbow rug he used to like to lay on by our door, and so he lay on the mat on her lap. … It was extremely hard to say goodbye to Stan. He was a very special cat.”
Photo via TuxedoStan.com
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.