- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Today 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Today 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Today 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Today 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Today 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Today 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Today 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Today 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Today 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Today 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Today 12:19 PM
- Slow iPhone got you down? Here’s how to speed it back up Today 11:49 AM
- Andy Ngo smears antifa activist killed in hit-and-run Today 11:25 AM
- ‘Succession’ but with M&Ms is a pitch-perfect parody Today 11:12 AM
Shia LaBeouf says he was raped during #IAMSORRY performance
What started as an email correspondence became much more candid.
He first contacted Dazed reporter Aimee Cliff back in September via email with the intent of starting a dialogue. He wrote that he liked Cliff’s “point of view” and was interested in meeting for an in-person interview.
In the course of the correspondence, LaBeouf revealed in one email detailing the kind of people who came to #IAMSORRY, the performance art exhibit he put on in Los Angeles for five days after he was accused of plagiarism, which he says was triggered by a “genuine existential crisis.”
one woman who came with her boyfriend
who was out side the door when this happened
whipped my legs for 10 minutes and then striped my clothing
and proceeded to rape me
then walked out with her lipstick smudged
to her awaiting boyfriend
who i image was quite hurt by it
all this happened in front of hundreds of people
Word of what happened during his exhibit reached LaBeouf’s girlfriend, who was in line to see him at the exhibit. He said that it occurred on Valentine’s Day.
“When she came in she asked for an explanation, and I couldn’t speak, so we both sat with this unexplained trauma silently,” he wrote. “It was painful.”
LaBeouf, who’s currently receiving treatment for addiction following a plea deal, also touched on some of the headlines he’s made recently and his reasoning behind withdrawing from public life.
“The 80s and 90s fucked us; our culture became a product to be sold, and anyone in a tabloid is a product—an object,” LaBeouf wrote. “American culture is just about blowjobs and golf. I wanted to take back ownership. Fuck the money, that was never the impetus. I wanted purpose.”
LaBeouf and Cliff eventually agree to meet in-person, and while they candidly corresponded by email over the course of a couple weeks, they strapped GoPro cameras to their faces and sat across from each other in silence.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.