- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far 6 Years Ago
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review 6 Years Ago
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Today 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Today 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
Drama erupts on Reddit over gun community’s pothead ban
The ultimate battle of left vs. right is taking place on Reddit.
Here’s one combination some Reddit moderators aren’t fond of: guns and marijuana.
A user called honkeyass was banned from Reddit’s r/guns forum after moderators discovered that he smoked weed. Honkeyass was banned after he posted a question on r/guns regarding an old rifle that had misfired.
“[T]hey naturally went through every post and comment I’ve ever made, and decided I was a stoner,” honkeyass commented. “They bombarded me with insults saying how I am a criminal and shouldn’t have guns. Then they banned me from the subreddit. So just be careful, not everyone is nearly as open too [sic] weed as I thought.”
The following comment from not_the_atf attempts to sum up why honkeyass has faced such backlash.
A look through honkeyass’s post history reveals photos of him smoking a joint at home, firing up a spliff outside in his car during a Christmas party, and cooking up some weed-filled cornbread. On Jan. 22, he posted on r/guns about a Mosin-Nagant rifle he had sawed off. In this particular thread, honkeyass never mentioned that he smoked weed while handling a firearm. That goes the same for two other r/guns threads he started on March 30 and April 9.
“I am a gun lover and weed smoker, but never ever even close to the same time,” honkeyass commented. “But an 120 year old gun did fire in my house, so they said pot was to blame, even though it was my friends gun, he was holding it, I was in the other room, and it was my tolerance break. It was extremely annoying. The detectives also determined that it was a gun malfunction, and that he wasn’t at fault.”
While honkeyass contends that he has never operated firearms while under the influence, the mere possession of drugs and guns is illegal. According to 18 U.S. Code § 922, possessing illegal drugs and firearms is a federal offence that can be punished by up to 10 years in prison.
Here, an r/guns moderator, Phteven_j, explains why honkeyass was banned:
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.