- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Reddit wants to hire a cryptocurrency engineer
“What we are interested in doing is evaluating the cryptocurrency landscape…”
Of the dozen positions Reddit is hiring for in San Francisco and Salt Lake City, the one gig people are most curious about is for a cryptocurrency engineer.
The rather vague posting calls for someone with a background in math or computer science “to explore new technology applications and infrastructure involving the blockchain and cryptocurrency.”
Reddit CEO Yishan Wong attempted to expand on the purpose of the new position in a lengthy comment on r/redditjobs. Bottom line: The company needs someone with the coding skills and cryptocurrency knowledge for future projects, Wong said.
“We’re not interested in creating a competing ‘Yet Another <Whatever>’ if someone else is already doing it,” he added.
Robots like Bitcointop bot and Dogetip bot allow redditors to freely gift coins to one another using a comment or personal message. The bots are a fun alternative to Reddit’s karma system which is easily gamed and abused. This option would come at a perfect time considering the Bitcointip bot is shutting down on Aug. 31.
With Reddit’s added emphasis on reaching profitability, the new cryptocurrency makes financial sense, ymo said.
“A coin created and backed by reddit itself will be very profitable and I’m certain a mining operation is being built into the business model of the site itself,” the redditor added.
Reddit is also looking to hire a frontend engineer, interaction designer, and a handful of marketing positions at RedditGifts. The company is also hiring an Android and mobile engineer. The latter position was unofficially posted in late April, and Reddit is still likely on the hunt to fill this spot because of how popular third-party apps for Reddit (such as Alien Blue and BaconReader) have remained. The social news site likely wants its own product entering the fray.
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.