- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
“What we are interested in doing is evaluating the cryptocurrency landscape…”
Of the dozen positions Reddit is hiring for in San Francisco and Salt Lake City, the one gig people are most curious about is for a cryptocurrency engineer.
The rather vague posting calls for someone with a background in math or computer science “to explore new technology applications and infrastructure involving the blockchain and cryptocurrency.”
Reddit CEO Yishan Wong attempted to expand on the purpose of the new position in a lengthy comment on r/redditjobs. Bottom line: The company needs someone with the coding skills and cryptocurrency knowledge for future projects, Wong said.
“We’re not interested in creating a competing ‘Yet Another <Whatever>’ if someone else is already doing it,” he added.
Robots like Bitcointop bot and Dogetip bot allow redditors to freely gift coins to one another using a comment or personal message. The bots are a fun alternative to Reddit’s karma system which is easily gamed and abused. This option would come at a perfect time considering the Bitcointip bot is shutting down on Aug. 31.
With Reddit’s added emphasis on reaching profitability, the new cryptocurrency makes financial sense, ymo said.
“A coin created and backed by reddit itself will be very profitable and I’m certain a mining operation is being built into the business model of the site itself,” the redditor added.
Reddit is also looking to hire a frontend engineer, interaction designer, and a handful of marketing positions at RedditGifts. The company is also hiring an Android and mobile engineer. The latter position was unofficially posted in late April, and Reddit is still likely on the hunt to fill this spot because of how popular third-party apps for Reddit (such as Alien Blue and BaconReader) have remained. The social news site likely wants its own product entering the fray.
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.