- Ancestry.com ad tries to sell slavery as romance—not rape 5 Years Ago
- The 9 best Satanic movies on Shudder 5 Years Ago
- Twitch streamer banned after accidentally revealing racist chats 5 Years Ago
- This video captures 15 years of meme trends in 10 minutes 5 Years Ago
- Trump calls parts of Mueller Report ‘total bullshit’ in unfinished tweetstorm Today 8:24 AM
- Amid ‘Avengers’ hype, ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ bumps up release date Today 7:57 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Someone Great’ is a coming-of-age rom-com for twenty-somethings Today 7:03 AM
- The best new movies and TV shows to stream this weekend Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Ramy’ explores the intersection of Muslim and millennial identities Today 6:30 AM
- The top 10 Sekiro bosses, ranked Today 6:00 AM
- How to install PlayStation Vue on Kodi to stream live TV Today 5:30 AM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports resolution that could lead to Trump’s impeachment Thursday 9:46 PM
- Ricardo Milos dancing memes are the new Rickroll Thursday 9:09 PM
- Laura Loomer sues Twitter, Muslim lobbying group over account ban Thursday 8:15 PM
- Far-right troll Ian Miles Cheong gets flamed for mocking a ‘Star Wars’ fan Thursday 6:17 PM
“What we are interested in doing is evaluating the cryptocurrency landscape…”
Of the dozen positions Reddit is hiring for in San Francisco and Salt Lake City, the one gig people are most curious about is for a cryptocurrency engineer.
The rather vague posting calls for someone with a background in math or computer science “to explore new technology applications and infrastructure involving the blockchain and cryptocurrency.”
Reddit CEO Yishan Wong attempted to expand on the purpose of the new position in a lengthy comment on r/redditjobs. Bottom line: The company needs someone with the coding skills and cryptocurrency knowledge for future projects, Wong said.
“We’re not interested in creating a competing ‘Yet Another <Whatever>’ if someone else is already doing it,” he added.
Robots like Bitcointop bot and Dogetip bot allow redditors to freely gift coins to one another using a comment or personal message. The bots are a fun alternative to Reddit’s karma system which is easily gamed and abused. This option would come at a perfect time considering the Bitcointip bot is shutting down on Aug. 31.
With Reddit’s added emphasis on reaching profitability, the new cryptocurrency makes financial sense, ymo said.
“A coin created and backed by reddit itself will be very profitable and I’m certain a mining operation is being built into the business model of the site itself,” the redditor added.
Reddit is also looking to hire a frontend engineer, interaction designer, and a handful of marketing positions at RedditGifts. The company is also hiring an Android and mobile engineer. The latter position was unofficially posted in late April, and Reddit is still likely on the hunt to fill this spot because of how popular third-party apps for Reddit (such as Alien Blue and BaconReader) have remained. The social news site likely wants its own product entering the fray.
Illustration by Jason Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.