- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
Pat Robertson: If your spouse has Alzheimer’s, get a divorce
The outspoken televangelist advised a man that it’s fine to divorce his wife, who has Alzheimer’s. Twitterers disagree.
It looks like televangelist Pat Robertson has put his foot in mouth yet again and Twitter is disgusted.
On Robertson’s nationally syndicated show “The 700 Club,” he said divorce was OK so long as one spouse has Alzheimer’s disease.
Robertson’s remarks came in response to a question asked by a man named Andreas who has a friend whose wife suffers from the disease.
“That person is gone. They are gone. So, what he says is basically correct. I know it sounds cruel but if he’s going to do something he should divorce her and start all over again,” said Robertson on his program Tuesday. (The comment is made at about the 51:00 minute mark). “Till death do us part. This is a kind of death. So that’s what he’s saying.”
On Twitter, thousands of people, including preachers, have addressed Robertson’s comment with disappointment and disdain. Just in the last couple of hours, Robertson has been mentioned more than 3,000 times, according to statistics from Topsy, a social medias search engine.
“Pat Robertson’s latest craziness isn’t just an embarrassment,” tweeted Russel Moore (@drmoore), who claims to be a baptist preacher from Louisville. “It’s a cruel repudiation of Christianity itself.”
“Pat Robertson said divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer’s is OK. It’s also OK to ignore soulless old men who are asshats,” tweeted Rex Huppke (@rexhuppke).
The Daily Dot has reached out to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America and the Alzheimer’s Association for a comment and is waiting to hear back.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.