- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
“Overly Attached Girlfriend” uses her online fame for a good cause
Laina Morris, the Overly Attached Girlfriend, wants to be more than another Internet meme. Her new video series will raise money for a different charity each month.
Laina Morris, better known around the Internet as the Overly Attached Girlfriend, has taken a break from creeping people out with her blank stare to help raise money for a good cause.
As part of Morris’s new Dare to Share YouTube series, the 21-year-old former journalism student will profile a new charity every month and encourage people to donate money in exchange for seeing their favorite meme do something funny.
The first episode tells the story of the IASIS Learning Center’s Surf Camp. The program works with children and teens who have autism spectrum disorder and helps improve their social social skills and sensory motor development through surfing.
“We don’t charge anything to the campers and their families,” Lauren Cavanaugh, curriculum coordinator for Surf Camp, told Morris. “It’s pricey to rent surfboards. We supply life jackets, splash guards.”
As part of her fundraising support for Surf Camp, Morris has promised to complete a different task for each financial milestone that is reached. They are:
$1,000: Eat a shake with five foods blended into it
$5,000: Do “Gangnam Style” dance at an Apple Store
$10,000: Eat a lot of food and go on a roller coaster
$50,000: Go skydiving
“Thank you for attempting to turn your Internet fame into something that benefits humanity as a whole – or at the very least a deserving charity,” sasalina commented on Reddit.
Morris rose to fame in June after a creepy video of her auditioning to be Justin Bieber’s “Girlfriend” went viral. A still from the video featuring Morris staring intently into the camera was turned into an image macro and ultimately the Overly Attached Girlfriend meme.
Morris has been overwhelmed by the support her Dare to Share video has created.
“Thank you SO much! Seriously,” Morris wrote on Reddit. “The feedback from this is so wonderful and I’m so grateful to all of you. I love Reddit.”
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.