- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report 7 Years Ago
- Study links emoji use to more sex 7 Years Ago
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Today 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Today 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Today 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Today 12:55 PM
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 Today 12:49 PM
- YouTuber finds GoPro footage of man who drowned in 2017 Today 12:20 PM
- Netflix’s ’45 rpm’ is as tired as the boomer rock era it tries to honor Today 11:38 AM
- Teen arrested for threatening to ‘slaughter’ abortion clinic on iFunny Today 11:29 AM
- How to stream the LA Galaxy vs. Cruz Azul Leagues Cup semifinal match Today 11:10 AM
- Going broke over the App Store? Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases Today 10:49 AM
- Jill Biden says even if you don’t like Joe Biden, you need to vote for Joe Biden Today 10:43 AM
- Report on ideal thermostat temperature brings out the dad jokes Today 10:28 AM
- Edited videos of Portland protests are telling half-truths Today 10:20 AM
“Overly Attached Girlfriend” uses her online fame for a good cause
Laina Morris, the Overly Attached Girlfriend, wants to be more than another Internet meme. Her new video series will raise money for a different charity each month.
Laina Morris, better known around the Internet as the Overly Attached Girlfriend, has taken a break from creeping people out with her blank stare to help raise money for a good cause.
As part of Morris’s new Dare to Share YouTube series, the 21-year-old former journalism student will profile a new charity every month and encourage people to donate money in exchange for seeing their favorite meme do something funny.
The first episode tells the story of the IASIS Learning Center’s Surf Camp. The program works with children and teens who have autism spectrum disorder and helps improve their social social skills and sensory motor development through surfing.
“We don’t charge anything to the campers and their families,” Lauren Cavanaugh, curriculum coordinator for Surf Camp, told Morris. “It’s pricey to rent surfboards. We supply life jackets, splash guards.”
As part of her fundraising support for Surf Camp, Morris has promised to complete a different task for each financial milestone that is reached. They are:
$1,000: Eat a shake with five foods blended into it
$5,000: Do “Gangnam Style” dance at an Apple Store
$10,000: Eat a lot of food and go on a roller coaster
$50,000: Go skydiving
“Thank you for attempting to turn your Internet fame into something that benefits humanity as a whole – or at the very least a deserving charity,” sasalina commented on Reddit.
Morris rose to fame in June after a creepy video of her auditioning to be Justin Bieber’s “Girlfriend” went viral. A still from the video featuring Morris staring intently into the camera was turned into an image macro and ultimately the Overly Attached Girlfriend meme.
Morris has been overwhelmed by the support her Dare to Share video has created.
“Thank you SO much! Seriously,” Morris wrote on Reddit. “The feedback from this is so wonderful and I’m so grateful to all of you. I love Reddit.”
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.