- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Today 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Today 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Today 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Today 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
“Overly Attached Girlfriend” uses her online fame for a good cause
Laina Morris, the Overly Attached Girlfriend, wants to be more than another Internet meme. Her new video series will raise money for a different charity each month.
Laina Morris, better known around the Internet as the Overly Attached Girlfriend, has taken a break from creeping people out with her blank stare to help raise money for a good cause.
As part of Morris’s new Dare to Share YouTube series, the 21-year-old former journalism student will profile a new charity every month and encourage people to donate money in exchange for seeing their favorite meme do something funny.
The first episode tells the story of the IASIS Learning Center’s Surf Camp. The program works with children and teens who have autism spectrum disorder and helps improve their social social skills and sensory motor development through surfing.
“We don’t charge anything to the campers and their families,” Lauren Cavanaugh, curriculum coordinator for Surf Camp, told Morris. “It’s pricey to rent surfboards. We supply life jackets, splash guards.”
As part of her fundraising support for Surf Camp, Morris has promised to complete a different task for each financial milestone that is reached. They are:
$1,000: Eat a shake with five foods blended into it
$5,000: Do “Gangnam Style” dance at an Apple Store
$10,000: Eat a lot of food and go on a roller coaster
$50,000: Go skydiving
“Thank you for attempting to turn your Internet fame into something that benefits humanity as a whole – or at the very least a deserving charity,” sasalina commented on Reddit.
Morris rose to fame in June after a creepy video of her auditioning to be Justin Bieber’s “Girlfriend” went viral. A still from the video featuring Morris staring intently into the camera was turned into an image macro and ultimately the Overly Attached Girlfriend meme.
Morris has been overwhelmed by the support her Dare to Share video has created.
“Thank you SO much! Seriously,” Morris wrote on Reddit. “The feedback from this is so wonderful and I’m so grateful to all of you. I love Reddit.”
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.