- Popular Twitch streamer banned for something he didn’t even say 7 Years Ago
- What is going on with C-3PO in the final trailer for ‘The Rise of Skywalker’? 7 Years Ago
- Amazon’s facial recognition misidentified Boston athletes as criminals Today 9:08 AM
- Trump sparks outrage by calling impeachment ‘lynching’ Today 8:58 AM
- Rose Tico returns in the final ‘Rise of Skywalker’ trailer Today 8:44 AM
- Pokémon Go player fatally shot after witnessing robbery Today 8:05 AM
- How to watch ‘Doc Martin’ Today 8:00 AM
- Review: The Outer Worlds is so much more than ‘Fallout in space’ Today 8:00 AM
- Even Jack Burkman’s clients don’t want anything to do with his pro-Trump smears Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘My Life Is Murder’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Galatasaray in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
Musician fools phone thief with fake OKCupid profile
Streetlight Manifesto’s Nadav Nirenberg made it to the top of r/justiceporn not once but twice with this story.
A would-be phone thief who thought he was going to get some sweet lovin’ found himself confronted by his victim wielding a hammer.
Musician Nadav Nirenberg left his phone in the back of the cab while on his way to a New Year’s Eve gig. He tried calling in it to get in contact with the cabbie, but the device was immediately turned off. Texts offering a reward were also ignored.
The next day, Nirenberg, who plays with ska band Streetlight Manifesto, discovered that the thief was using his old OKCupid account to hit on girls. It was then that he got the idea to mess with him.
“I created a fake email and a half-believable OKCupid account as ‘Jennifer Rodriguez’ – a 24-year-old girl who just moved to Brooklyn and is looking for a man to take her out,” Nirenberg detailed on his personal blog. “I sent a message to the thief (my account) and chatted him up as Jennifer…weird. A few hours later he was headed to ‘Jennifer’s apartment’ for a relaxing bottle of wine and a good time. What a lucky night for him!”
But wait! It gets better. The cab driver, who is not white, sent the fictional Jennifer a text that read “Hay the pic u see on my profile it not my pic it my friend pic,” referring to the OKCupid photo of Nirenberg, who is white.
Nirenberg’s blog continues: “Little did he know that on his way up the stairs I would pop out behind him, calmly give him $20 for my phone (it was in his hand) and tell him the cops were on the way (with a hammer in my hand). RETRIBUTION! The look of immediate shame on his face was priceless, homie was shook and must feel like an idiot. Dude was all dressed up, had a bottle of wine and stank of cologne. As he was walking away I was surprised I said ‘You smell great tho’.”
Predictably, this story made it to the home page of Reddit’s r/justiceporn, a subreddit devoted to watching “bullies [get] their comeuppance,” not once but twice. The first telling of the story was posted on Tuesday by user truebluebrewcrew, who happens to be friends with Nirenberg via Facebook. That post has received 2,099 karma points as of this writing.
On Wednesday, Nirenberg himself submitted his tale of retribution. His self post also included a screenshot of fake Jennifer’s email inbox, which included a bombardment of OKCupid notifications coming from the hapless cabbie.
Photo via Nadav Nirenberg
As for the lovely Jennifer, Nirenberg deleted her OKCupid profile because of the large number of messages she was receiving. He also posted an apology on his own profile.
Photo via Nadav Nirenberg/Twitter
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.