- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX 6 Years Ago
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
Note that that’s quantity of trades, not quality. All the bitcoins in the world are worth $10.1 billion, according to stats provided at Bitinfo. Dogecoin, which takes its name from the already-kinda-old doge meme, is worth a relatively paltry $9.2 million.
Likely because of that, dogecoin owners are exchanging left and right, avoiding the familiar Bitcoin trap where many users simply purchase some amount of the currency to sit on it and hope it appreciates. Nearly twice as many Dogecoin users (98,808) have made trades in the past 24 hours as Bitcoin users (55,352), and that number dwarfs any other cryptocurrency.
That’s made all the more remarkable when you consider Bitcoin is constantly upping its real-world applications. You can order deliveries from Overstock.com, for example, or in thousands of physical locations, but Dogecoin doesn’t have anything close that kind of use.
That’s due in no small part to enthusiasts’ readiness to tip each other in Dogecoin. Reddit even has a custom-programmed tip bot that any redditor can use, and it often handles hundreds of transactions an hour.
In fact, so many dogecoins have been traded and then quickly traded again that the number of dogecoins in transit over the past day, 33,767,101,030, outnumbers the number of dogecoins in existence.
H/T PCR Online | Photo via r/supershibe (remix by Fernando Alfonso III)
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.