- This ‘Sailor Moon’ game brings us back to the ’90s in the best way 6 Years Ago
- Teacher who said holidays are ‘difficult’ gets heartwarming surprise from students 6 Years Ago
- Fox News blames ‘weaponized’ social media for Tucker Carlson backlash 6 Years Ago
- Report: Black women receive way more abusive tweets than white women Today 8:34 AM
- Roger Stone to publicly apologize for spreading lies on InfoWars Today 8:13 AM
- Netflix true crime series ‘The Innocent Man’ is a missed opportunity Today 7:31 AM
- What can we learn from Ivanka Trump’s private email server? Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch National Geographic online for free Today 7:30 AM
- Bongo Cat proves that the internet still loves cats Today 7:00 AM
- Organize your life with the 10 best free calendar apps Today 6:00 AM
- How many devices can you stream YouTube TV with at once? Today 6:00 AM
- Watch Tiffany Pollard sell the sh*t out of Fenty Beauty makeup Monday 8:05 PM
- Speech pathologist sues Texas school district for right to boycott Israel Monday 5:25 PM
- ‘Fresh Prince’ actor sues Fortnite developer for using the Carlton dance Monday 4:40 PM
- 3D-printed head fools Android facial recognition Monday 3:01 PM
Michelle Obama joins Twitter (again), doesn’t follow her husband
The First Lady has accrued more than 5,000 followers since sending out her first tweet early Thursday morning.
All rise, ladies and gentlemen. The First Lady of the United States is now on Twitter.
Michelle Obama announced her presence on the microblogging site this morning, debuting her verified Twitter handle @FLOTUS shortly after 11:30am EST. The handle operates on what appears to be a slick profile page, one stacked with a profile shot of Obama and family dog Bo and a cover photo that features the First Lady hugging an old gray-haired lady while Vice President Joe Biden’s wife Jill and another old lady look on and smile affectionately.
Her first tweet, evidently sent by a staffer, detailed that the First Lady’s office will use the account to “post updates & pics.”
“When it’s her, she’ll sign -mo,” the tweet added.
Obama’s previous Twitter handle, @michelleobama, was run by her husband’s reelection campaign.
The First Lady has accrued more than 5,000 followers since sending out her first tweet. She’s only following 15 accounts as of press time, and most of them are booooooring: the National Guard, Department of Agriculture, Office of VP Biden, and Let’s Move accounts are the most entertaining of the bunch.
The giant pink elephant in the room is that she’s not currently following her husband, President Barack Obama, leader of the free world, who tweets somewhat regularly on the @BarackObama account.
The First Lady’s first tweet also served as a not-so-subtle suggestion to followers to retweet the message and wish her a happy birthday. Today, the first lady turns 49.
This is not the first time that First Lady Obama has taken to the Internet to increase her presence with fans and followers. She joined Pinterest in June and has long maintained a Facebook fan page, though that one’s almost surely run by a staffer.
Twitter should be a bit more fun for the First Lady. We can only hope it’s just a matter of weeks until she decides to dive into Weird Twitter.
Photo via Michelle Obama/Facebook
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle full-time. He’s now that paper’s news editor and reports on criminal justice and politics.