- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
Miss Alabama wins Twitter the night her beau wins the BCS
It wasn’t just Alabama that put up big numbers in Monday’s BCS title game. A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend, Katherine Webb, 2012’s Miss Alabama, gained more than 100,000 Twitter followers.
It wasn’t just Alabama that put up big numbers in Monday night’s lopsided BCS title game, in which the Crimson Tide romped Notre Dame, 42-14.
That was likely helped in large part by ESPN commentator Brent Musburger’s panting description of Webb, along with McCarron’s mother, as the camera lingered on them in the stands:
You see that lovely lady there? […] That’s AJ McCarron’s girlfriend. Right there on the right is Dee Dee Bonner, that’s AJ’s mom. Wow, I’m telling you, you quarterbacks, you get all the good-looking women. What a beautiful woman. Whoa! You’re a youngster at Alabama, start getting the football out and throwing around the backyard with Pops.
Despite Musburger’s affection, though, Twitter users decidedly chose Webb over Bonner, who’s still at just over 4,000 followers.
Reports vary about exactly how many followers Webb had before the game. Several reports put her at about 2,000, though the metrics at TwitterCounter.com are drastically different, and say she had almost 74,000 followers on Sunday. Regardless, she’s up to 133,000 as of Monday morning.
Regardless of how big her jump was, the night that McCarron became the first quarterback to ever win back-to-back BCS championships was the night his girlfriend passed him on Twitter: He’s at just over 98,000 followers.
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.