- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ 7 Years Ago
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
Tweeting is Beliebing: Justin Bieber tops Lady Gaga on Twitter
The Canadian pop prince is now the most-followed person on Twitter, with more than 33,327,313 followers.
You’d better belieb it: Justin Bieber is now the most popular person on Twitter.
Bieber now has 33,327,313 followers to Gaga’s 33,324,368. Gaga became Twitter’s most followed person in August 2010, when she surpassed Britney Spears. Bieber and Gaga jostled for the top spot Monday night as follower counts fluctuated, but at 11:32pm ET, here’s how their follower counts stood:
And Bieber has clearly only pulled further into the lead this morning. As you may expect, Beliebers and Little Monsters both urged other tweeters to do follow their respective favorite stars to boost their numbers over the last few days, or even to unfollow their rival, as the deftly coiffed Canadian steadily gained on Mama Monster. This is all terribly important because such numbers are obviously a clear metric for someone’s worth to global society.
Meanwhile, some Bieber fans excitedly watched as their idol edged closer to Gaga’s tally.
As they pop superstars drew neck-and-neck, there was at first trepidation:
And then, jubilation:
For the record, it doesn’t look like Gaga will be too upset.
Bieber was at the center of a Twitter firestorm earlier in the month, when a 4chan prank led many to believe that his fans were self-harming and tweeting photos of the deed in a bid to get him to stop smoking marijuana. Conversely, 4chan also attempted to get Bieber adorers to try pot themselves.
Meanwhile, over the weekend, a shot of Bieber’s bare backside landed 100,000 likes on Instagram before he deleted. Must feel good to be king, even if it means making an ass of yourself.
Photo via JustinBieberVEVO/YouTube
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.