- How to play Fortnite on Mac 6 Years Ago
- Feminist memes are a banner of social change on Instagram 6 Years Ago
- VR game Jupiter and Mars thoughtfully explores climate change Today 4:30 AM
- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
The photo, posted by an Israeli Facebook group called “I Love Dogs” has 20,000 likes and hundreds of vicious comments.
Every day, the Daily Dot finds something that people on Facebook are sharing and, in turn, shares it with you—with a little explanation. Here’s today’s share.
The Facebook group I LOVE DOGS, which has more than 100,000 fans on Facebook, curates a curious mix of photos: Most are either of cute puppies or devoted to Israeli nationalism. The photo it uploaded Saturday, though it depicted a canine, was just emblematic of the worst of the latter: a defenseless older woman, attacked by a trained military dog. The image already has more than 20,000 likes.
Though it looks as if it could have been Photoshopped, the photo was actually taken in 2007 by an AP photographer, though the context is no more savory than if it were used in current attacks. During a raid of a village in the West Bank, the Israeli-army-trained dog was supposed to enter a house to search for a specific militant, and instead attacked the defenseless woman. The AP reported that the army treated her on the scene.
The comments section is filled with vitriol, most of it written in Hebrew.
“Eat that fucking Muslim women eat baby eat,” wrote Tomer Milol. “Good boy who’s a good boy?”
“Good dog!!!! Doing sacred work!” wrote Yam Komm
At least some, though, were taken aback by the photo and its reception.
“How can you like a photo like that!!!!!” countered Yasmine El Boury. “this is violence and evil.”
Photo via I LOVE DOGS/Facebook
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.