- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members 7 Years Ago
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis 7 Years Ago
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
20,000 like Facebook photo of dog attacking Palestinian woman
The photo, posted by an Israeli Facebook group called “I Love Dogs” has 20,000 likes and hundreds of vicious comments.
Every day, the Daily Dot finds something that people on Facebook are sharing and, in turn, shares it with you—with a little explanation. Here’s today’s share.
The Facebook group I LOVE DOGS, which has more than 100,000 fans on Facebook, curates a curious mix of photos: Most are either of cute puppies or devoted to Israeli nationalism. The photo it uploaded Saturday, though it depicted a canine, was just emblematic of the worst of the latter: a defenseless older woman, attacked by a trained military dog. The image already has more than 20,000 likes.
Though it looks as if it could have been Photoshopped, the photo was actually taken in 2007 by an AP photographer, though the context is no more savory than if it were used in current attacks. During a raid of a village in the West Bank, the Israeli-army-trained dog was supposed to enter a house to search for a specific militant, and instead attacked the defenseless woman. The AP reported that the army treated her on the scene.
The comments section is filled with vitriol, most of it written in Hebrew.
“Eat that fucking Muslim women eat baby eat,” wrote Tomer Milol. “Good boy who’s a good boy?”
“Good dog!!!! Doing sacred work!” wrote Yam Komm
At least some, though, were taken aback by the photo and its reception.
“How can you like a photo like that!!!!!” countered Yasmine El Boury. “this is violence and evil.”
Photo via I LOVE DOGS/Facebook
A former senior politics reporter for the Daily Dot, Kevin Collier focuses on privacy, cybersecurity, and issues of importance to the open internet. Since leaving the Daily Dot in March 2016, he has served as a reporter for Vocativ and a cybersecurity correspondent for BuzzFeed.