- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
They are legion: @YourAnonNews reaches half a million followers
The unofficial Twitter account for the hactivist collective achieved another milestone last night.
While following an account isn’t necessarily an expression of support or even agreement with its views or goals, that still means that a half million people are interested enough in Anonymous to follow the account—a significant milestone by any measure. And for an organization that seeks publicity in nearly everything it does, that may be enough.
The followers range from teenage girls and elderly men to renowned graffiti artist Shepard Fairey and media insiders, such as Wired’s social-media manager, Arikia Millikan. It’s a big showing for a “fringe” movement often demonized, or at best misunderstood, by mainstream media.
There’s no indication that the person or people who run @YourAnonNews participate in hacks, but he or she clearly support the actions of Anonymous. @YourAnonNews retweets Anonymous-related shares, global protest and human rights news, Internet censorship and memes, and even photos of nail-polish decals done in the shape of Guy Fawkes masks. (The masks are the closest thing Anonymous has to a trademark look.)
@YourAnonNews was, of course, ecstatic over the news and celebrated with some Twitter art.
Photo by istolethetv
Fruzsina Eördögh was the Daily Dot's first YouTube reporter. In addition to working as a producer for the now-defunct digital channel TouchVision TV, Eördögh has been published by Vice, the Christian Science Monitor, the Guardian, Variety, and Slate.