- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok 1 Year Ago
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood 1 Year Ago
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
- Hong Kong police caught on live stream shooting protester Today 12:26 PM
- Twitter proposes adding warnings to tweets with deepfakes Today 10:43 AM
- Dak Prescott’s pregame warmup becomes an instant meme Today 10:40 AM
- lhan Omar baselessly accused of anti-Semitism for billionaires tweet Today 10:15 AM
- Tulsi Gabbard wants Hillary Clinton to retract her Russia accusations Today 9:24 AM
- 21 stoner gift ideas that don’t involve buying weed Today 9:13 AM
- PayPal and Venmo’s anti-terrorism regulations are causing headaches for average businesses Today 9:06 AM
- Consumers claim the Apple Card is sexist Today 8:44 AM
A woman was surrounded by police on Wednesday after she climbed the base of the Statue of Liberty.
The woman is believed to be a protester, according to multiple news outlets.
Seven people were arrested earlier in the day on Liberty Island as part of a protest by a group called Rise and Resist, BuzzFeed News reports. They were at one point brandishing a sign that read “Abolish ICE” at the statue’s base.
The climber is not affiliated with Rise and Resist, according to a tweet from the organization.
The protest comes on the Fourth of July, America’s birthday, as protests have swirled around the country over President Donald Trump‘s treatment of immigrants.
On Twitter, people on the left cheered on the climber and other protesters.
Protesters are climbing the Statue of Liberty in protest of Trump and ICE as we speak. The Resistance is stronger than ever!— Palmer Report (@PalmerReport) July 4, 2018
A YOUNG BLACK WOMAN HAS CLIMBED UP PART OF THE STATUE OF LIBERTY BASE TO PROTEST THE 'ICE' ILLEGAL KIDNAPPING OF CHILDREN AND ASSAULT OF FAMILIES AND AMERICAN FREEDOM! pic.twitter.com/GO2RGXikMn— newyorknewart (@newyorknewart) July 4, 2018
Naturally, those on the right hated it.
To the idiot climbing the Statue of Liberty, your “cause” isn’t worth the lives of the brave first responders giving up their 4th to make sure you don’t die from your stupidity. #preach— Todd Piro (@ToddPiro) July 4, 2018
Hanging an Abolish Ice banner on the Statue of Liberty. My word these people are crazy! https://t.co/LIUDU07TrL— Rampage Rich (@RichBeeker) July 4, 2018
So the idiot on the Statue of Liberty thinks she is so special her rights to protest outweigh the rights of the hundreds of people who had planned to visit Lady Liberty on this day. Don't #AbolishICE— Nina (@NinaSaphir) July 4, 2018
The Statue of Liberty became a flashpoint when Trump advisor Stephen Miller—an immigration hardliner—claimed the Statue of Liberty didn’t support immigrants.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]