- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? 2 Years Ago
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far 2 Years Ago
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Today 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Today 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Today 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
Americans who don’t think white people have societal and economical advantages over people of color strongly approve of President Donald Trump and his performance so far, according to new data.
Meanwhile, people who agree that white Americans benefit from advantages that people of color don’t have are “nearly unanimous” in their disapproval of Trump, Pew Research Center found.
Trump has a 74 percent approval rating from white Americans who say they don’t “at all” benefit from advantages in society that Black people don’t have, according to Pew, with 60 percent of those “strongly” approving of Trump’s time in office.
The views extend along party lines.
Among Republicans and Republican-leaning independent voters who say white people do not have any inherent benefits from their race, 89 percent approve of Trump’s performance. Only 6 percent of Republicans agreed that white people have a leg up on people of color, and only 39 percent of them approved of Trump.
On the other side of the aisle, 97 percent of Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents who thought white people benefited a great deal from their race disapproved of Trump’s job performance. Even Democrats who did not feel as strongly about white people having an advantage did not like Trump–with 81 percent of those people having an unfavorable view of the president.
It’s worth noting that several studies and reports have shown that white Americans do have societal advantages including: white students in public schools being served better than students of color, white people are less likely to be arrested for the same drug crimes that people of color commit, and unemployment for Black Americans is consistently higher than white Americans.
You can read all of Pew Research Center’s findings here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).