- Rudy Giuliani really wants James Comey to become a verb 3 Months Ago
- Facebook shared your DMs with tech giants like Netflix and Spotify 3 Months Ago
- These very awkward Fortnite PSAs tell kids they can be winners by ditching their Juuls 3 Months Ago
- Blind worm that keeps its head in the sand named after Trump 3 Months Ago
- How to watch Bayern Munich vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 8:12 AM
- Why Gritty was one of the most popular memes of 2018 Today 7:00 AM
- Kelly Sue DeConnick explores the mythic sensibility of her new Aquaman comic Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the History Channel online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Why the Senate’s First Step Act isn’t true criminal justice reform Today 5:30 AM
- Mom calls cops on son who can’t get ready for school on time Tuesday 11:19 PM
- Tinder exec fired after involvement in lawsuit alleging sexual assault Tuesday 10:48 PM
- Woman matches on Tinder with LaCroix thief—and his victim Tuesday 7:38 PM
- U.K. police will have to disclose documents about WikiLeaks journalists Tuesday 6:37 PM
- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote Tuesday 5:38 PM
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Tuesday 4:02 PM
‘One of the wettest… from the standpoint of water’ is everyone’s favorite new Trump meme
People thought his description was odd.
Ahead of his trip, the president praised the first responders and people who live in the areas affected in a video posted to his Twitter account. However, Trump’s description of the hurricane being one of the “wettest” storms in history “from the standpoint of water” caught the eye of many Twitter users.
“This is a tough hurricane,” the president said in the video. “One of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water. Rarely have we had an experience like it. It certainly is not good.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 18, 2018
In the video, Trump also thanked FEMA, the Coast Guard, and the military for doing “such a great job with a very difficult situation.”
While some Twitter users were perplexed by the way the president described the hurricane, others mocked it by placing it against other notable quotes from past presidents like John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Others couldn’t believe that “one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water” made it past editing by administration staffers.
“One of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water."
When you're trying to finish an essay and you need to hit that word count https://t.co/exAlDSiMXw
— Philip Lewis (@Phil_Lewis_) September 19, 2018
LINCOLN: "Government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."
KENNEDY: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!"
TRUMP: “It’s one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.”
— Johnny Goodtimes (@JohnnyGoodtimes) September 19, 2018
“One of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.” – DJT & also me writing a paper in 7th grade.
— Lily Lawson (@LilyBLawson) September 19, 2018
For future books on memorable presidential quotations, we must not forget: "“This is a tough hurricane, one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.” https://t.co/iWHxZvmJ2C
— Jim Roberts (@nycjim) September 19, 2018
Franklin Roosevelt: The only thing to fear is, fear itself.
Abraham Lincoln: Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.
Donald Trump: One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water.
— Juan Guzman (@Juan_Guzman1228) September 19, 2018
"one of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water"
on an edited video. a video that went through post production.
— David Dennis Jr. (@DavidDTSS) September 19, 2018
“One of the wettest we’ve ever seen…from the standpoint of water.” -Donald Trump
**THIS HAS BEEN ANOTHER EPISODE OF DUMBSH!T AQUAMAN** pic.twitter.com/Btny5mXfdz
— ElElegante101 (@skolanach) September 19, 2018
“One of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.”
Arguably one of Trump’s top 10 quotes. He has the best words.
— John Haltiwanger (@jchaltiwanger) September 19, 2018
Hire. A. Speechwriter.
"…one of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water."
The video was pre-recorded. They could have re-shot, but didn't. That means this incoherent mess was Trump's most articulate take. https://t.co/3DOViVwKKL
— Toby Ziegler (@Toby_Ziegler) September 19, 2018
How does “one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water" make it into the final draft of the script?! It's a pre-recorded video! At least 15 people saw this, heard this line, and said "you know what, that's fine. Just leave it in." https://t.co/OMr2rwUYtX
— Jordan Aschwege (@derschwigg) September 19, 2018
As part of the president’s trip today, he will visit Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, where NPR reports he will meet with officials in a roundtable briefing.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).