- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Thursday 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Thursday 9:53 AM
What would Trump do without Twitter?
Valerie Plame Wilson, a former undercover CIA agent, is tired of what many see as the president’s reckless use of Twitter. So, she started a GoFundMe with a very specific goal for its $1 billion dollar target.
“Let’s #BuyTwitter and #BanTrump,” the page says. “There’s a real danger that Trump’s tweets could actually start a nuclear war. Let’s delete his account before that happens”.
The fundraiser, which was launched last week, has managed to raise more than $14,000 dollars, as of this writing. Wilson has already seen a small amount of backlash from White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders who said in an emailed statement, “Her ridiculous attempt to shut down his First Amendment is the only clear violation and expression of hate and intolerance in this equation,” according to the Associated Press.
Wilson left the CIA in 2005 after her identity was leaked by an official in the George W. Bush administration in an effort to discredit her husband, former diplomat Joe Wilson, who criticized the decision by Bush to invade Iraq. In the time since she retired, she has spent her time writing several bestselling novels, raising her twin daughters, and advocating for the elimination of nuclear weapons.
At the time of Sanders’ statement, the GoFundMe had reached less than $6,000 of its $1 billion dollar goal, which prompted Sanders to say that the low number indicated how much the American people enjoy the president’s use of Twitter. The number has been gradually climbing, however, and with the story going viral, it is likely to see a noticeable increase in the coming days.
The $1 billion dollar goal would still be far too little to gain a controlling interest in Twitter. A full billion would make her Twitter’s largest shareholder, which could give her significant sway within the company. If the goal is not reached, she has advised donors that “100 percent of the balance of proceeds will be donated to Global Zero, a nonprofit organization leading the resistance to nuclear war.”
H/T Associated Press
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.