- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Today 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Today 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Today 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Today 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Today 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture Today 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Today 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Today 12:01 PM
- ‘We vape, we vote’ movement insists it’s real in wake of bot reports Today 12:01 PM
- Netflix will finally start cracking down on password sharing Today 11:48 AM
- PSAT memes are back! This year on TikTok and amid College Board crackdown Today 11:20 AM
- Scotland grants pardons to men, trans women convicted under homophobic laws Today 10:45 AM
- Cole Carrigan again accuses Austin McBroom of sexual assault Today 9:58 AM
- Trump’s condolences for Elijah Cummings ripped apart Today 9:24 AM
- How to watch ‘Hocus Pocus’ right now Today 9:18 AM
Never underestimate the ability for a man to get up in arms about the actions of successful women.
In the wake of the U.S. Women’s tremendous romp in the 2019 World Cup, sensible, right-leaning people have decreed their every action, from celebrating too hard while piling on goals to a non-controversy over an American flag on the ground after their finals win.
They’ve tried and failed to find fault in almost everything.
The USWNT on Wednesday received a ticker-tape parade in New York City for its exploits, the culmination of four years of work and determination. The players drank, partied, and swore.
And heavens to heck, you woulda thought the sky was falling on Twitter and conservative blogs.
Far-right conspiracy peddler the Gateway Pundit called them “trashy” for uttering profanity.
“Trashy US Women’s World Cup Soccer Champs Utter Profanities All During NYC Parade,” a post was headlined, highlighting and bringing attention to what they deemed inappropriate language.
“While they are held up as role models for girls, the players carried on like street trash throughout the parade and City Hall ‘key to the city’ ceremony.”
The blog went on to delineate every single profanity utter.
“Several video clips show the players celebrating and cursing. And cursing. And cursing. Even in the modern era where occasional profanity slips out from professional athletes, the constant stream of public profanity by the women’s soccer team is unprecedented in professional U.S. sports–especially for a team representing the nation in world body competition.”
(This is false, teams curse all the time in championship celebrations.)
Of particular fury from conservatives was Ashlyn Harris using a famous Antoine Dodson quote to celebrate.
Deleted video of Drunk, belligerent, soccer player's— ROB (@_ROB_29) July 11, 2019
Hide your kids, hide your wives, lock your f**kin door's because I got the key too the muthaf**kin city and I'm comin for all yo f**kin b**ches.
Real role models huh? pic.twitter.com/VKta082gdE
Meanwhile, conservative Twitter aggregator Twitchy was traumatized that Megan Rapinoe cursed in her speech, writing that “[b]efore the role model to thousands upon thousands of girls around the world cursed, she said ‘it’s our responsibility to make the world a better place.’ Maybe she was drunk and that’s why she cursed?”
But in general, a bunch of conservatives just felt that Rapinoe drinking and saying “I deserve this” was not OK. Apparently, because they didn’t like it.
God she’s unbearable.... https://t.co/TjKU24g5TS— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) July 10, 2019
being a world cup champion doesn't mean you can't be annoying af https://t.co/1juuQV13xW— Caleb Hull (@CalebJHull) July 10, 2019
This woman infuriates me https://t.co/t5BMuBl0fB— Thomas Knapper (@Thomas_Knapper) July 11, 2019
If any of these people ever came close to winning a world title, there’s little arguing that they would lose their shit, so take all their criticism with a grain of salt the size of a boulder.
- There’s now a bill in Congress to get the USWNT equal pay
- Snoop Dogg wants the USWNT to be paid the same as the ‘sorry-ass men’
- Trump walks back White House invite to USWNT
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]