- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
Yesterday, America put on what might be the most impressive performance on the world stage of any country, ever. In their opening match of the 2019 World Cup, the U.S. national team set a record for the most goals ever in a World Cup game, shellacking Thailand 13-0.
It was a thoroughly unbelievable performance, and for 90 minutes, the U.S. was the most dominating force the soccer world had ever seen.
America! Kicking butt! Showing up other countries!
You might think that modern conservative men, the most pompous, bloviating nationalists America’s ever seen, would be all about it. Except that this is the Women’s World Cup, the version of the sport where the men don’t play.
So what wins out: Jingoism or misogyny? Here’s what they all had to say.
President Donald Trump:
Nothing, but he did take time out yesterday to mention how the left hates conservative women.
Nothing, but he hasn’t tweeted in over a week.
Dave Rubin, classical liberal:
Nothing, but he’s Canadian so we can cut him a bit of slack.
Prager University’s Will Witt who once called rape “hilarious“:
Something! But only to bash the women’s desire for equal pay, which totally has to do with inflexible positions on the economics of soccer and not his attitude toward women.
Nobody watches the women’s World Cup and people don’t pay as much money to see it. Advertisers don’t pay as much to have their ads placed. This is not sexist. If you want to see women paid the same as men in sports, tell people to start watching women’s sports. #USWNT https://t.co/cywx2xbt6I— Will Witt (@thewillwitt) June 12, 2019
Ryan Fournier, Chairman of Students for Trump:
Only to whine about about something that doesn’t affect him.
This is a stupid idea https://t.co/oQZF5iNDNm— Kurt Schlichter (@KurtSchlichter) June 12, 2019
Stephen Miller aka redsteeze:
Oh well. Maybe they will tune in when the U.S. plays Chile on Sunday.
- Tomi Lahren is stoked about the ‘straight pride’ parade
- A woman was arrested after throwing a milkshake at Matt Gaetz
- The atonement of an alt-right troll
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]