- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
Yesterday, America put on what might be the most impressive performance on the world stage of any country, ever. In their opening match of the 2019 World Cup, the U.S. national team set a record for the most goals ever in a World Cup game, shellacking Thailand 13-0.
It was a thoroughly unbelievable performance, and for 90 minutes, the U.S. was the most dominating force the soccer world had ever seen.
America! Kicking butt! Showing up other countries!
You might think that modern conservative men, the most pompous, bloviating nationalists America’s ever seen, would be all about it. Except that this is the Women’s World Cup, the version of the sport where the men don’t play.
So what wins out: Jingoism or misogyny? Here’s what they all had to say.
President Donald Trump:
Nothing, but he did take time out yesterday to mention how the left hates conservative women.
Nothing, but he hasn’t tweeted in over a week.
Dave Rubin, classical liberal:
Nothing, but he’s Canadian so we can cut him a bit of slack.
Prager University’s Will Witt who once called rape “hilarious“:
Something! But only to bash the women’s desire for equal pay, which totally has to do with inflexible positions on the economics of soccer and not his attitude toward women.
Nobody watches the women’s World Cup and people don’t pay as much money to see it. Advertisers don’t pay as much to have their ads placed. This is not sexist. If you want to see women paid the same as men in sports, tell people to start watching women’s sports. #USWNT https://t.co/cywx2xbt6I— Will Witt (@thewillwitt) June 12, 2019
Ryan Fournier, Chairman of Students for Trump:
Only to whine about about something that doesn’t affect him.
This is a stupid idea https://t.co/oQZF5iNDNm— Kurt Schlichter (@KurtSchlichter) June 12, 2019
Stephen Miller aka redsteeze:
Oh well. Maybe they will tune in when the U.S. plays Chile on Sunday.
- Tomi Lahren is stoked about the ‘straight pride’ parade
- A woman was arrested after throwing a milkshake at Matt Gaetz
- The atonement of an alt-right troll
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]