- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
Johnson, a known conspiracy theorist, claimed on Monday that somebody tampered with Bryant’s helicopter, causing it to crash. Furthermore, Johnson says his death came as a result of a legal battle he was invested in with a Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals, which wanted the legal rights to his nickname “Black Mamba.”
“They did not crash because of the fog, that was an expert pilot,” Johnson said. After repeatedly mentioning Bryant’s pharmaceutical battle. “Kobe was sabotaged. Radar can see through the fog. It wasn’t no wind, the propeller was sabotaged.”
However, it’s worth noting that Hi-Tech’s Black Mamba product is a set of low-grade diet pills, according to the Atlanta Black Star.
“Are they really suggesting that fog killed Brother Kobe & company? Planes & helicopters been flying through fog for decades, not to mention there’s radar on most aircrafts, and they were familiar with the route of travel. If this gets blamed on fog then it was definitely murder”— Dr. Umar Johnson (@DrUmarJohnson) January 28, 2020
More recently, Johnson claimed on Instagram Live that he believes the NBA is a suspect in his personal investigation into Bryant’s death. In the video, after his phone fell off the stand, he claimed to be evidence that his conspiracies are true.
“As soon as I mention the NBA in the first suspect of Kobe’s death, my cell phone get blown off the stand,” he said. “That’s not proof. It’s still debatable, but it’s a good piece of evidence.”
Dr.Umar says he has evidence that the NBA is responsible for the death of Kobe Bryant 🤔 pic.twitter.com/13u4Eycbds— MyASU Buzz (@myasubuzz) January 29, 2020
Previously, Johnson made waves in a controversial Breakfast Club interview in December 2019, in which he touts conspiracies about Bill Cosby’s accusers and arrest. In the interview, he claimed Cosby was imprisoned for trying to buy NBC and said Meek Mill was only released from prison to ease tensions surrounding another Black man’s arrest.
“They had to free Mill in order to kill Bill,” he said.
However, users on Twitter were quick to dismiss or denounce Johnson’s conspiracy theory, with both anger or comedy.
“The fact that [conspiracy theorists] center the entire conspiracy around Kobe, neglecting [eight] other [people] including his daughter Gigi is devastatingly ignorant,” Twitter user @XGonGiveIt2Yu said. “You mean to tell me Kobe died over a legal battle of the name of a fucking VITAMIN? Fuck Umar Johnson.”
I don't wanna hear shit Umar Johnson has to say about shit. Not even actual shit. If he saw me about to step in dog shit, STILL be the fuck quiet— MonsterKing (@CerromeRussell) January 28, 2020
*Celebrity dies of natural causes at home in bed*— Post (@PalmBeach_Post) January 28, 2020
Dr. Umar Johnson: “They put a chemical on his pillow that suffocated him in his sleep, because he was in a legal battle with Hallmark Card Company”
"THEY KILLED KOBE SO THAT THEY CAN CALL US TOBY"- Dr. Umar Johnson pic.twitter.com/Ce6noOQiu2— Gary Oak (@sohelpmegawd) January 28, 2020
Now we got Umar Johnson talking about sabotaged propellers— Righteous Ratchet (@yalyfe) January 29, 2020
. . .
“I like some of the Umar interviews — what the Fuck does he know about ‘copters” pic.twitter.com/I5CyAE4OQn
Conspiracy Theorists make me sick.— Xay (@XGonGiveIt2Yu) January 29, 2020
The fact that they center the entire conspiracy around Kobe, neglecting 8 other ppl including his daughter Gigi is devastatingly ignorant.
You mean to tell me Kobe died over a legal battle of the name of a fucking VITAMIN?
Fuck Umar Johnson
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death
- Kylie Jenner found a way to make Kobe Bryant’s death about her
- These YouTube videos claim to show the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash (they don’t)
Felix Kalvesmaki is a second-year student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern for the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in Input magazine, Teen Vogue, and on Texas NPR station KERA.