- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
While Trump gave thanks to his administration’s pro-business stance and Congress’s tax cut, Twitter noted he was leaving one person out.
Thanks Obama! https://t.co/4NgOuQ2iaX— G_Mac (@garymc12) January 31, 2018
Somebody should yell "Thanks Obama!" right now #SOTU— FullyDedicated (@2Short2Sweet) January 31, 2018
Trump specifically cited having the lowest unemployment ever of African Americans as an economic trend he was most proud of. People were swift to point out that trend began under another president. Long ago under another president.
President Trump boasting that African American unemployment is at an all-time low because of him. Two words he should be saying instead: Thanks, Obama. #SOTU— G. K. Butterfield (@GKButterfield) January 31, 2018
But that wasn’t the only benefit Obama brought to the economy before leaving office.
Auto industry's growing in America. Thanks, Obama! #SOTU— Senator Jeff Merkley (@SenJeffMerkley) January 31, 2018
Trump also lauded himself on lower Hispanic unemployment.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]