- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report 1 Month Ago
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time 1 Month Ago
- Jameela Jamil sparks conversation about women having to make the ‘boyfriend excuse’ 1 Month Ago
- Trump-Russia conspiracy theorists think they’ve found secrets in the Mueller report Today 9:32 AM
- Report: YouTube is done competing with Netflix, Amazon Today 9:27 AM
- Netflix drama ‘Coisa Mais Linda’ explores Bossa Nova clubs and women’s rights in Brazil Today 8:08 AM
- The best ‘Game of Thrones’ memes to get you pumped for season 8 Today 7:30 AM
- Amazon Echo Show (2nd Gen) vs Google Home Hub: Which is better? Today 7:00 AM
- Solange sings along to Ariana Grande on Instagram Stories—and fans are obsessed Today 6:37 AM
- How to stream the entire ’30 For 30′ series for free Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! My happiest Facebook Memories are making me miserable Today 6:30 AM
- Musketeers: Welcome to the global Elon Musk fan network Today 6:00 AM
- Lawsuit alleges YouTube’s unboxing videos are ‘abusive’ ads aimed at kids Sunday 3:48 PM
- Dr. Dre shades Lori Loughlin with Instagram flex about his daughter getting into USC Sunday 3:13 PM
- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage Sunday 1:21 PM
Willrow Hood/Shutterstock (Licensed)
Not everything is a big deal.
Today, the Washington Post dropped a story about President Donald Trump having a $50,000 golf simulator installed in the White House that allows him to “play virtual rounds at courses all over the world by hitting a ball into a large video screen.”
Naturally, there was a mass freak-out over America’s commander-in-chief using a golf simulator.
The reactions ran the gamut from declarations that this was how Trump used his “executive time” to the standard “conservatives would freak out if Obama did this” to concerns over how Trump was wasting taxpayer money.
If Obama had done this, Fox and the right-wing echo chamber would be going ballistic and cover it non-stop for days. https://t.co/yqXwNrWHT3
— Andy Kroll (@AndyKroll) February 13, 2019
EXECUTIVE TIME pic.twitter.com/4YTJ4A2Lbh
— Adam Parkhomenko (@AdamParkhomenko) February 13, 2019
Oh. my. god. https://t.co/Y1YDzOQmdP
— Christine D (@christine_d11) February 13, 2019
Your tax $$ at work. OTOH, the less time he spends screwing up the government, the better. https://t.co/OCe37K8vYb
— Sage_dude (@Sage_dude) February 13, 2019
That's what his "Executive Time" is.
— Elena (@ElenaPewtress) February 13, 2019
I know this is small. I know it does not matter. But can you IMAGINE if Obama had spent taxpayer money on a "golf simulator" so he could spend more time not doing his job?? https://t.co/rZeo5L2Ppr
— Kyah (@KyahJade) February 13, 2019
.@realDonaldTrump paid $50K for a golf room in the .@WhiteHouse. Keep this in mind, #MAGA #MAGA2020 when you file your taxes as a result of the #GOPTaxScam #GOPTaxSCAMStories #TaxReturn https://t.co/QRH0Ek27l7
— 18 USC Code sub 371 (@ZkFranks) February 13, 2019
Except all of them are basically bunk.
As noted in the second paragraph, former President Barack Obama was the first person to have a golf simulator installed. This was an upgrade to that. The Post article notes that Trump paid for it himself. It goes on to mention how many other presidents shaped the White House to make time for their personal habits, including adding movie theaters and bowling alleys.
And as noted by some, if he’s using this in lieu of taking a motorcade out to a golf course, he might be curbing his obscene taxpayer spending on his golf obsession.
Not everything is a big deal.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]