- Video of Blueface teaching Obama lookalike to dance is turning heads Wednesday 5:58 PM
- ‘No one has the range’ for this meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Mom confronts man who followed daughter through grocery store in viral video Wednesday 5:05 PM
- Major study linking vaping to heart attacks gets retracted Wednesday 4:36 PM
- George Zimmerman is suing Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren Wednesday 2:55 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Horse Girl’ accused of ripping off 2017 indie film Wednesday 2:52 PM
- The Genyus Network is a safe social space for stroke survivors Wednesday 2:20 PM
- MAGA hat-wearing dog finishes last in ‘Today Show’ fan vote—still named winner Wednesday 2:03 PM
- Reddit users share stories of the worst things guests have done in their homes Wednesday 1:25 PM
- WikiLeaks lawyer says Trump offered Assange a pardon—if he’d deny Russian hack Wednesday 1:16 PM
- 6-year-old placed in psychiatric facility for ‘trantrum’ is seen acting calm in body cam footage Wednesday 1:05 PM
- Amy Klobuchar devouring Ivanka Trump is the 2020 vore crossover no one wanted Wednesday 12:32 PM
- Review: Hulu’s ‘Devs’ is a brilliant work of near-future science fiction Wednesday 11:53 AM
- Rapper Pop Smoke dead at 20 Wednesday 11:42 AM
- KSI says he will back Team YouTube if Logan Paul fights Antonio Brown Wednesday 11:29 AM
Today, the Washington Post dropped a story about President Donald Trump having a $50,000 golf simulator installed in the White House that allows him to “play virtual rounds at courses all over the world by hitting a ball into a large video screen.”
Naturally, there was a mass freak-out over America’s commander-in-chief using a golf simulator.
The reactions ran the gamut from declarations that this was how Trump used his “executive time” to the standard “conservatives would freak out if Obama did this” to concerns over how Trump was wasting taxpayer money.
If Obama had done this, Fox and the right-wing echo chamber would be going ballistic and cover it non-stop for days. https://t.co/yqXwNrWHT3— Andy Kroll (@AndyKroll) February 13, 2019
EXECUTIVE TIME pic.twitter.com/4YTJ4A2Lbh— Adam Parkhomenko (@AdamParkhomenko) February 13, 2019
Oh. my. god. https://t.co/Y1YDzOQmdP— Christine D (@christine_d11) February 13, 2019
Your tax $$ at work. OTOH, the less time he spends screwing up the government, the better. https://t.co/OCe37K8vYb— Sage_dude (@Sage_dude) February 13, 2019
That's what his "Executive Time" is.— Elena (@ElenaPewtress) February 13, 2019
I know this is small. I know it does not matter. But can you IMAGINE if Obama had spent taxpayer money on a "golf simulator" so he could spend more time not doing his job?? https://t.co/rZeo5L2Ppr— Kyah (@KyahJade) February 13, 2019
.@realDonaldTrump paid $50K for a golf room in the .@WhiteHouse. Keep this in mind, #MAGA #MAGA2020 when you file your taxes as a result of the #GOPTaxScam #GOPTaxSCAMStories #TaxReturn https://t.co/QRH0Ek27l7— 18 USC Code sub 371 (@ZkFranks) February 13, 2019
Except all of them are basically bunk.
As noted in the second paragraph, former President Barack Obama was the first person to have a golf simulator installed. This was an upgrade to that. The Post article notes that Trump paid for it himself. It goes on to mention how many other presidents shaped the White House to make time for their personal habits, including adding movie theaters and bowling alleys.
And as noted by some, if he’s using this in lieu of taking a motorcade out to a golf course, he might be curbing his obscene taxpayer spending on his golf obsession.
Not everything is a big deal.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]