- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
Willrow Hood/Shutterstock (Licensed)
Not everything is a big deal.
Today, the Washington Post dropped a story about President Donald Trump having a $50,000 golf simulator installed in the White House that allows him to “play virtual rounds at courses all over the world by hitting a ball into a large video screen.”
Naturally, there was a mass freak-out over America’s commander-in-chief using a golf simulator.
The reactions ran the gamut from declarations that this was how Trump used his “executive time” to the standard “conservatives would freak out if Obama did this” to concerns over how Trump was wasting taxpayer money.
If Obama had done this, Fox and the right-wing echo chamber would be going ballistic and cover it non-stop for days. https://t.co/yqXwNrWHT3— Andy Kroll (@AndyKroll) February 13, 2019
EXECUTIVE TIME pic.twitter.com/4YTJ4A2Lbh— Adam Parkhomenko (@AdamParkhomenko) February 13, 2019
Oh. my. god. https://t.co/Y1YDzOQmdP— Christine D (@christine_d11) February 13, 2019
Your tax $$ at work. OTOH, the less time he spends screwing up the government, the better. https://t.co/OCe37K8vYb— Sage_dude (@Sage_dude) February 13, 2019
That's what his "Executive Time" is.— Elena (@ElenaPewtress) February 13, 2019
I know this is small. I know it does not matter. But can you IMAGINE if Obama had spent taxpayer money on a "golf simulator" so he could spend more time not doing his job?? https://t.co/rZeo5L2Ppr— Kyah (@KyahJade) February 13, 2019
.@realDonaldTrump paid $50K for a golf room in the .@WhiteHouse. Keep this in mind, #MAGA #MAGA2020 when you file your taxes as a result of the #GOPTaxScam #GOPTaxSCAMStories #TaxReturn https://t.co/QRH0Ek27l7— 18 USC Code sub 371 (@ZkFranks) February 13, 2019
Except all of them are basically bunk.
As noted in the second paragraph, former President Barack Obama was the first person to have a golf simulator installed. This was an upgrade to that. The Post article notes that Trump paid for it himself. It goes on to mention how many other presidents shaped the White House to make time for their personal habits, including adding movie theaters and bowling alleys.
And as noted by some, if he’s using this in lieu of taking a motorcade out to a golf course, he might be curbing his obscene taxpayer spending on his golf obsession.
Not everything is a big deal.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]