- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records 2 Years Ago
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Today 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Today 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Today 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Today 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Today 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Today 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Today 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Today 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Today 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
Since taking office, President Donald Trump has frequently boasted how many records his administration has broken: most legislation passed, highest stock market, lowest minority unemployment ever. While two of those three claims are specious, Trump did just achieve something no other president has: most typos in a single tweet.
In a tweet this morning quoting legal scholar Alan Dershowitz about Robert Mueller‘s probe into Trump’s 2016 campaign, the president made four different typos.
Trump misspelled “Counsel” three times and got “whether” wrong. And while it isn’t a typo, he included an extra “the”—for four typos and five mistakes in one missive.
While there aren’t official records kept of typos in presidential tweets, since Twitter was not around for the first 43 administrations, it’s a race between Trump and Barack Obama. And Trump is simply blowing him out of the water.
Aside from this tweet, in his first 14 months, the president’s misspelled the word “heal” in back-to-back tweets, has repeatedly messed up the “Counsel” investigating him, botched there/their and to/too, got “aide” wrong, and did whatever “covfefe” is.
And while he’s made one or two before, four in a single tweet is simply unpresidented.
As for the, uh, content of his tweet, which he corrected later, Trump is again claiming the federal investigation into his campaign is unjustified, further eroding the separation of powers this country was founded upon.
“Special Council is told to find crimes, whether a crime exists or not. I was opposed to the selection of Mueller to be Special Council. I am still opposed to it. I think President Trump was right when he said there never should have been a Special Council appointed because.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 21, 2018
...there was no probable cause for believing that there was any crime, collusion or otherwise, or obstruction of justice!” So stated by Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 21, 2018
He still misspelled “Counsel” again though.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]