- Man pleads guilty to stealing over $100 million from Facebook, Google Today 12:59 PM
- The Washington Post is under fire for a transphobic cartoon about the Mueller Report Today 12:33 PM
- Congressman quotes ‘Mein Kampf’ on House floor Today 11:55 AM
- Rapper Tone Loc detained after confronting teen in Confederate flag hat Today 11:37 AM
- Sarah Sanders shares Mueller Madness bracket Today 10:19 AM
- NASA postpones all-women spacewalk over lack of suits that fit the female astronauts Today 10:17 AM
- Texas Rangers shortstop walks up to ‘Baby Shark’ Today 9:58 AM
- The best wireless gaming headsets under $100 Today 9:23 AM
- Trump demands networks blacklist these guests—including prominent Democrats Today 9:09 AM
- Bookworms! Now’s your chance to grab 3 months of Amazon Music for free Today 9:00 AM
- You can get paid $1,000 to binge-watch the first 20 Marvel movies Today 8:56 AM
- The ‘flat stomach’ meme has morphed into the ‘pregnant mom’ meme Today 8:43 AM
- Get 6 months free with this sweet Amazon Music Unlimited offer Today 8:30 AM
- Zoie Burgher tweets details about supposed threesome with FaZe Pamaj, Abigale Mandler Today 8:09 AM
- How to stream MLB Network for free Today 8:05 AM
Trump is Time’s ‘Person of the Year’—finally.
Speaking with the Today show on Wednesday morning, Trump balked at Time editors’ decision to dub him the “President of the Divided States of America” on the cover of its Person of the Year issue.
“I think putting ‘divided’ is snarky,” Trump said. “I didn’t do anything to divide.”
Trump is famously combative with the media, whom he’s branded as a liars and hacks. But he has particular beef with Time, which has featured Trump on its cover at least 12 times—not always flatteringly—but never before given him the honor of Person of the Year. And like everything else with Trump, there are tweets to prove it.
Some of Trump’s tweeted gripes have come in the form of retweets, but others are from the man himself. And he doesn’t always view Time as bad—he has worked with the magazine a dozen times in the past, after all. Here is a complete timeline of Trump’s complex, fraught relationship with Time.
As I anticipated, Justice Roberts made the cover of Time Magazine etc. The liberal media now loves him– he should be ashamed.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 6, 2012
Despite the upcoming election, the cover of paper-thin Time Magazine looks like an ad for the movie Lincoln–sad!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 6, 2012
The Time Magazine list of the 100 Most Influential People is a joke and stunt of a magazine that will, like Newsweek,soon be dead. Bad list!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 27, 2013
Just took a look at Time Magazine-looks really flimsy like a free handout at a parking lot! The sad end is coming-just like Newsweek!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 2, 2013
Time magazine should name David Pecker of American Media to be its top guy…but they are not smart enough to do that!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 3, 2013
(1/2) Time Magazine has me on the cover this week. David Von Drehle has written one of the best stories I have ever had.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2016
Remember, get TIME magazine! I am on the cover. Take it out in 4 years and read it again! Just watch…
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 10, 2016
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.