- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
- Know what you’re signing up for thanks to these dating site reviews Wednesday 8:58 AM
Trump’s off-kilter tie was all anyone could talk about at the State of the Union
It was left of center.
President Donald Trump arrived today at the Capitol to deliver his annual State of the Union address. In a release before his speech, the White House said Trump would call for a new, bipartisan plan for the country.
“The agenda I will lay out this evening is not a Republican agenda or a Democrat agenda. It is the agenda of the American people,” an excerpt read.
And yet, all everyone could talk about was his tie. Because Trump waltzed into a joint session of Congress, and his neckwear was a bit askew.
— Plotkarazzo (@Plotkarazzo) February 6, 2019
It became an obsession for Twitter.
Left Shark escaped from the Super Bowl and took over the tie.
— emptywheel (@emptywheel) February 6, 2019
no one tell him
— McKay Coppins (@mckaycoppins) February 6, 2019
Trump’s tie is draped across him like a Miss America sash
— Olivia Nuzzi (@Olivianuzzi) February 6, 2019
oh my, president trump’s tie is very, very crooked. #SOTU
— kelly cohen (@politiCOHEN_) February 6, 2019
is Trump's tie askew?
or is it…a sQAnon?
— Jason Linkins (@dceiver) February 6, 2019
Trump's tie is off kilter
— Emily C. Singer (@CahnEmily) February 6, 2019
As the speech has worn on, Trump’s tie pivoted somewhat back to center.
But for a brief 20 minutes, Trump was leaning left.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]