- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
President Donald Trump arrived today at the Capitol to deliver his annual State of the Union address. In a release before his speech, the White House said Trump would call for a new, bipartisan plan for the country.
“The agenda I will lay out this evening is not a Republican agenda or a Democrat agenda. It is the agenda of the American people,” an excerpt read.
And yet, all everyone could talk about was his tie. Because Trump waltzed into a joint session of Congress, and his neckwear was a bit askew.
It became an obsession for Twitter.
Left Shark escaped from the Super Bowl and took over the tie.— emptywheel (@emptywheel) February 6, 2019
no one tell him— McKay Coppins (@mckaycoppins) February 6, 2019
Trump’s tie is draped across him like a Miss America sash— Olivia Nuzzi (@Olivianuzzi) February 6, 2019
oh my, president trump’s tie is very, very crooked. #SOTU— kelly cohen (@politiCOHEN_) February 6, 2019
is Trump's tie askew?— Jason Linkins (@dceiver) February 6, 2019
or is it...a sQAnon?
Trump's tie is off kilter— Emily C. Singer (@CahnEmily) February 6, 2019
As the speech has worn on, Trump’s tie pivoted somewhat back to center.
But for a brief 20 minutes, Trump was leaning left.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]