- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Thursday 11:00 AM
- Hilary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Thursday 10:37 AM
A supporter of President Donald Trump was arrested in Moorhead, Minnesota, on charges associated with allegedly brandishing a loaded handgun at a woman in an altercation over her Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker.
According to a release from police, around noon on Monday, 27-year-old Joseph Schumacher pulled alongside an 18-year-old woman and started yelling about her sticker. Pointing to his Trump bumper sticker, he continued talking about his different political views.
The verbal confrontation continued as he proceeded to follow her for several blocks, police say, during which time they passed one another several times.
The man allegedly drove in front of her and held up a gun before driving away. She subsequently called 911.
Upon their arrival, police located Schumacher eating at a local restaurant, the Star-Tribune reported. A search of his car turned up a loaded handgun, they say, and he was arrested on two counts of felony terroristic threats and a misdemeanor charge of having a loaded weapon in a vehicle without a permit.
One of the two passengers in the man’s vehicle reportedly confirmed the events.
The story has reminded some of the efforts liberals take to avoid inciting the self-proclaimed tolerant right. “What a little snowflake, triggered by a bumper sticker? Fragile. Sad!” said one redditor on a thread about it.
“And this is why I won’t risk putting political stickers on my car. It’s wrong. I hate feeling like I’m giving into them, but the MAGAnuts are dangerous,” one woman tweeted in response.
@DanCrenshawTX @MeghanMcCain This one is super fun for me! Why? It’s my hometown! Soooo cool it’s in the news! This guy seems awesome and should totally have a gun!! I mean, how else could he intimidate this woman? With his smarts? Lol!!!— Rachel Cue (@Rkaycue) October 8, 2019
According to county records, as of late Wednesday morning, Schumacher remained in jail.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.