- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Tuesday 1:16 PM
A supporter of President Donald Trump was arrested in Moorhead, Minnesota, on charges associated with allegedly brandishing a loaded handgun at a woman in an altercation over her Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker.
According to a release from police, around noon on Monday, 27-year-old Joseph Schumacher pulled alongside an 18-year-old woman and started yelling about her sticker. Pointing to his Trump bumper sticker, he continued talking about his different political views.
The verbal confrontation continued as he proceeded to follow her for several blocks, police say, during which time they passed one another several times.
The man allegedly drove in front of her and held up a gun before driving away. She subsequently called 911.
Upon their arrival, police located Schumacher eating at a local restaurant, the Star-Tribune reported. A search of his car turned up a loaded handgun, they say, and he was arrested on two counts of felony terroristic threats and a misdemeanor charge of having a loaded weapon in a vehicle without a permit.
One of the two passengers in the man’s vehicle reportedly confirmed the events.
The story has reminded some of the efforts liberals take to avoid inciting the self-proclaimed tolerant right. “What a little snowflake, triggered by a bumper sticker? Fragile. Sad!” said one redditor on a thread about it.
“And this is why I won’t risk putting political stickers on my car. It’s wrong. I hate feeling like I’m giving into them, but the MAGAnuts are dangerous,” one woman tweeted in response.
@DanCrenshawTX @MeghanMcCain This one is super fun for me! Why? It’s my hometown! Soooo cool it’s in the news! This guy seems awesome and should totally have a gun!! I mean, how else could he intimidate this woman? With his smarts? Lol!!!— Rachel Cue (@Rkaycue) October 8, 2019
According to county records, as of late Wednesday morning, Schumacher remained in jail.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.