- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ 3 Months Ago
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? 3 Months Ago
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments 3 Months Ago
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
A supporter of President Donald Trump was arrested in Moorhead, Minnesota, on charges associated with allegedly brandishing a loaded handgun at a woman in an altercation over her Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker.
According to a release from police, around noon on Monday, 27-year-old Joseph Schumacher pulled alongside an 18-year-old woman and started yelling about her sticker. Pointing to his Trump bumper sticker, he continued talking about his different political views.
The verbal confrontation continued as he proceeded to follow her for several blocks, police say, during which time they passed one another several times.
The man allegedly drove in front of her and held up a gun before driving away. She subsequently called 911.
Upon their arrival, police located Schumacher eating at a local restaurant, the Star-Tribune reported. A search of his car turned up a loaded handgun, they say, and he was arrested on two counts of felony terroristic threats and a misdemeanor charge of having a loaded weapon in a vehicle without a permit.
One of the two passengers in the man’s vehicle reportedly confirmed the events.
The story has reminded some of the efforts liberals take to avoid inciting the self-proclaimed tolerant right. “What a little snowflake, triggered by a bumper sticker? Fragile. Sad!” said one redditor on a thread about it.
“And this is why I won’t risk putting political stickers on my car. It’s wrong. I hate feeling like I’m giving into them, but the MAGAnuts are dangerous,” one woman tweeted in response.
@DanCrenshawTX @MeghanMcCain This one is super fun for me! Why? It’s my hometown! Soooo cool it’s in the news! This guy seems awesome and should totally have a gun!! I mean, how else could he intimidate this woman? With his smarts? Lol!!!— Rachel Cue (@Rkaycue) October 8, 2019
According to county records, as of late Wednesday morning, Schumacher remained in jail.
Claire Goforth is a Jacksonville, Florida-based journalist covering politics, culture, justice, and unicorns. Her work has appeared in publications ranging from regional alt-weeklies to Al Jazeera.