- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
President Donald Trump’s visit to a children’s hospital in Ohio last week was supposed to be a nice, feel-good event. Color a little bit, hang out with some cute kids, score some photos, and call it a day.
But it’s never that simple, is it? After the Aug. 24 visit, a photo made the rounds of Trump staring down a little girl sitting across from him, innocently coloring her picture of the American flag.
It’s an unsettling photo; Trump’s eyes bulge, and he leans forward in a vaguely threatening manner. Given the visuals and Trump’s recent legal entanglements, Twitter user @mileskahn captioned the photo with a winking mob reference:
Don’t you fucking flip on me. pic.twitter.com/PDOsoyLt4X— Miles Kahn (@mileskahn) August 26, 2018
Naturally, people had their own fun with it. This one, from @realEDdoc, pokes fun at Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ terrifying lack of knowledge about her department:
@NewsHou00784274 perfectly compared it to this moment from Finding Nemo:
And someone made a reference to Trump’s harsh policy of family separation.
Comparisons to Obama cropped up as well.
It’s not the only mishap from that particular photo op. Trump also caught heat for apparently coloring the American flag incorrectly, giving it a blue stripe. There’s something to be said for creative license, but Trump’s been known to get awfully close to the flag on occasion. He even suggested outlawing flag burning shortly after the 2016 election. You’d think he knows better.
Trump and his wife, Melania, were visiting the hospital to “understand how states and communities are responding to the challenge of opioid addiction,” according to Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.
Ohio has one of the highest rates of mortality for opioid overdoses; according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, there were 3,613 opioid-related deaths in Ohio in 2016.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.