- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Woman spots mole in man’s TikTok video, saves him from cancer Tuesday 2:17 PM
- ‘You’ star confirms his character is queer and ‘never will be’ straight Tuesday 1:08 PM
- This Twitch streamer pooped his pants during a broadcast Tuesday 12:17 PM
- Apple’s iCloud encryption plan halted amid FBI pressure, report Tuesday 10:57 AM
- Glenn Greenwald charged with cybercrimes in Brazil Tuesday 10:48 AM
- BadBunny rips her fans for not sending her enough money Tuesday 10:06 AM
President Donald Trump announced today that he had nothing to do with “Russia helping me to get elected,” an admission of a well-known fact the president has been loath to admit: Russian election interference in 2016 was aimed to get him in the White House.
Russia, Russia, Russia! That’s all you heard at the beginning of this Witch Hunt Hoax...And now Russia has disappeared because I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected. It was a crime that didn’t exist. So now the Dems and their partner, the Fake News Media,.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
....say he fought back against this phony crime that didn’t exist, this horrendous false accusation, and he shouldn’t fight back, he should just sit back and take it. Could this be Obstruction? No, Mueller didn’t find Obstruction either. Presidential Harassment!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
Trump’s tweets come in response to a press conference held by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, which some viewed as a signal to Congress to begin impeachment proceedings.
Trump has taken myriad positions on Russian election interference, denying it existed and placing the blame on other countries. So his words, while continuing to deny any collusion, did admit that he wound up in the White House thanks to the work of a foreign adversary.
Trump appears to acknowledge for the first time that Russia tried to help elect him. https://t.co/78utpJ1OYP— Kyle Cheney (@kyledcheney) May 30, 2019
Trump just admitted -- for the first time, I think -- that Russia helped him get elected. He just wrecked 2.5 years of GOP/Fox talking points that falsely claimed the Russians were merely trying to sow division and didn't favor anyone. https://t.co/dqGk2pxUyu— Dan Fagin (@danfagin) May 30, 2019
When the President of the United States publicly admits Russian helped him get elected! https://t.co/n6cbcpLvQ9— Daddy Files (@DaddyFiles) May 30, 2019
He later denied the same statement at a press gaggle on his way to Marine One.
“No, Russia did not get me elected,” Trump said.
Well, that settles it.
Correction: This article originally misquoted Trump in the headline.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]