- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
- Bloomberg razzed for accidentally making an Alexa Fleshlight Wednesday 5:29 PM
- Who is putting cowboy hats on pigeons? Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Scammer reportedly bribed Facebook employee to keep posts up Wednesday 3:36 PM
- The 1975’s singer criticized for ‘Islamophobic’ rant Wednesday 3:22 PM
- Ready to dish out $52K for Apple’s new Mac Pro? Wednesday 3:03 PM
- N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell discuss their new Green Lantern comic, ‘Far Sector’ Wednesday 3:00 PM
- YouTube says it will be harsher on creators with ‘patterns of harassing behavior’ Wednesday 1:15 PM
- Why one senator stopped a vote on net neutrality Wednesday 12:49 PM
- Man reportedly denied refugee status after officials fail to forward email Wednesday 12:09 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ star to lead Disney+ ‘Home Alone’ reboot Wednesday 12:08 PM
President Donald Trump announced today that he had nothing to do with “Russia helping me to get elected,” an admission of a well-known fact the president has been loath to admit: Russian election interference in 2016 was aimed to get him in the White House.
Russia, Russia, Russia! That’s all you heard at the beginning of this Witch Hunt Hoax...And now Russia has disappeared because I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected. It was a crime that didn’t exist. So now the Dems and their partner, the Fake News Media,.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
....say he fought back against this phony crime that didn’t exist, this horrendous false accusation, and he shouldn’t fight back, he should just sit back and take it. Could this be Obstruction? No, Mueller didn’t find Obstruction either. Presidential Harassment!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
Trump’s tweets come in response to a press conference held by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, which some viewed as a signal to Congress to begin impeachment proceedings.
Trump has taken myriad positions on Russian election interference, denying it existed and placing the blame on other countries. So his words, while continuing to deny any collusion, did admit that he wound up in the White House thanks to the work of a foreign adversary.
Trump appears to acknowledge for the first time that Russia tried to help elect him. https://t.co/78utpJ1OYP— Kyle Cheney (@kyledcheney) May 30, 2019
Trump just admitted -- for the first time, I think -- that Russia helped him get elected. He just wrecked 2.5 years of GOP/Fox talking points that falsely claimed the Russians were merely trying to sow division and didn't favor anyone. https://t.co/dqGk2pxUyu— Dan Fagin (@danfagin) May 30, 2019
When the President of the United States publicly admits Russian helped him get elected! https://t.co/n6cbcpLvQ9— Daddy Files (@DaddyFiles) May 30, 2019
He later denied the same statement at a press gaggle on his way to Marine One.
“No, Russia did not get me elected,” Trump said.
Well, that settles it.
Correction: This article originally misquoted Trump in the headline.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]