- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
President Donald Trump announced today that he had nothing to do with “Russia helping me to get elected,” an admission of a well-known fact the president has been loath to admit: Russian election interference in 2016 was aimed to get him in the White House.
Russia, Russia, Russia! That’s all you heard at the beginning of this Witch Hunt Hoax...And now Russia has disappeared because I had nothing to do with Russia helping me to get elected. It was a crime that didn’t exist. So now the Dems and their partner, the Fake News Media,.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
....say he fought back against this phony crime that didn’t exist, this horrendous false accusation, and he shouldn’t fight back, he should just sit back and take it. Could this be Obstruction? No, Mueller didn’t find Obstruction either. Presidential Harassment!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2019
Trump’s tweets come in response to a press conference held by Special Counsel Robert Mueller, which some viewed as a signal to Congress to begin impeachment proceedings.
Trump has taken myriad positions on Russian election interference, denying it existed and placing the blame on other countries. So his words, while continuing to deny any collusion, did admit that he wound up in the White House thanks to the work of a foreign adversary.
Trump appears to acknowledge for the first time that Russia tried to help elect him. https://t.co/78utpJ1OYP— Kyle Cheney (@kyledcheney) May 30, 2019
Trump just admitted -- for the first time, I think -- that Russia helped him get elected. He just wrecked 2.5 years of GOP/Fox talking points that falsely claimed the Russians were merely trying to sow division and didn't favor anyone. https://t.co/dqGk2pxUyu— Dan Fagin (@danfagin) May 30, 2019
When the President of the United States publicly admits Russian helped him get elected! https://t.co/n6cbcpLvQ9— Daddy Files (@DaddyFiles) May 30, 2019
He later denied the same statement at a press gaggle on his way to Marine One.
“No, Russia did not get me elected,” Trump said.
Well, that settles it.
Correction: This article originally misquoted Trump in the headline.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]