- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
A new inflatable animal is taunting President Donald Trump this week. On Monday afternoon, a 15-foot-tall inflatable rat created in Trump’s likeness was erected on Fifth Avenue and 59th street, a few blocks from Trump Tower.
The idea for the rat was conceived by John Post Lee, owner of BravinLee gallery in New York City, who funded the inflatable through a Kickstarter he created back in March: 227 supporters donated over $10,000 to bring the inflatable rodent to life.
John Post Lee, owner of Bravin Lee art galleries in NYC/LI said he commissioned 7ft "Trump Rat" to express "disgust" pic.twitter.com/t5ONR9G354— Laura Figueroa (@Laura_Figueroa) August 14, 2017
Lee said the inspiration for the project came from the inflatable rats used by unions to protest non-union labor. “It wasn’t until Trump was elected that I knew we had to purpose that imagery in the new and different way,” Lee told the Daily Dot.
After being funded, the giant rat was made in Burnwich, Ohio. Lee said he hopes the inflatable will stay up at its current location for the rest of today and tomorrow before moving around to other parts of the city. Protesters are expected to gather around the rat throughout the rest of the day.
“I wanted to ridicule this guy because he really doesn’t deserve to be president. He really lowered the bar,” Lee said. “I hope he sees it, and I hope he hates it, and I hope it gets under his skin.”
This Trump Rat might not be the end of Lee’s criticism on the current administration. The Trump Rat is intended to be loaned out to protesters for future events.
“I’d like to follow this up with a 3-foot-tall Jeff Sessions that sits in his lap,” Lee said.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.