- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Today 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Today 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Today 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Today 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Today 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Today 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Today 11:32 AM
- Turkish president used New Zealand shooting footage at campaign rallies Today 11:09 AM
- 8 adorable tea infusers that will warm you with cuteness Today 10:26 AM
- The Super Nintendo Pro is the wireless controller of your dreams Today 10:25 AM
- Lori Loughlin reportedly dropped from ‘Fuller House’ final season Today 10:10 AM
- The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia Deluxe Edition is a true treasure Today 10:00 AM
- Even Republicans are angry with the GOP’s anti-Beto tweet Today 10:00 AM
- ‘Egg Boy’ vows to send GoFundMe money to mosque shooting victims Today 9:55 AM
- Noom is a weight loss program that prioritizes your mental health Today 9:10 AM
Giant ‘Trump Rat’ sits near Trump Tower
‘I hope he sees it, and I hope he hates it.’
A new inflatable animal is taunting President Donald Trump this week. On Monday afternoon, a 15-foot-tall inflatable rat created in Trump’s likeness was erected on Fifth Avenue and 59th street, a few blocks from Trump Tower.
The idea for the rat was conceived by John Post Lee, owner of BravinLee gallery in New York City, who funded the inflatable through a Kickstarter he created back in March: 227 supporters donated over $10,000 to bring the inflatable rodent to life.
John Post Lee, owner of Bravin Lee art galleries in NYC/LI said he commissioned 7ft "Trump Rat" to express "disgust" pic.twitter.com/t5ONR9G354
— Laura Figueroa (@Laura_Figueroa) August 14, 2017
Lee said the inspiration for the project came from the inflatable rats used by unions to protest non-union labor. “It wasn’t until Trump was elected that I knew we had to purpose that imagery in the new and different way,” Lee told the Daily Dot.
After being funded, the giant rat was made in Burnwich, Ohio. Lee said he hopes the inflatable will stay up at its current location for the rest of today and tomorrow before moving around to other parts of the city. Protesters are expected to gather around the rat throughout the rest of the day.
“I wanted to ridicule this guy because he really doesn’t deserve to be president. He really lowered the bar,” Lee said. “I hope he sees it, and I hope he hates it, and I hope it gets under his skin.”
This Trump Rat might not be the end of Lee’s criticism on the current administration. The Trump Rat is intended to be loaned out to protesters for future events.
“I’d like to follow this up with a 3-foot-tall Jeff Sessions that sits in his lap,” Lee said.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.