- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Today 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Today 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Today 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Today 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Today 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Today 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
Giant ‘Trump Rat’ sits near Trump Tower
‘I hope he sees it, and I hope he hates it.’
A new inflatable animal is taunting President Donald Trump this week. On Monday afternoon, a 15-foot-tall inflatable rat created in Trump’s likeness was erected on Fifth Avenue and 59th street, a few blocks from Trump Tower.
The idea for the rat was conceived by John Post Lee, owner of BravinLee gallery in New York City, who funded the inflatable through a Kickstarter he created back in March: 227 supporters donated over $10,000 to bring the inflatable rodent to life.
John Post Lee, owner of Bravin Lee art galleries in NYC/LI said he commissioned 7ft "Trump Rat" to express "disgust" pic.twitter.com/t5ONR9G354
— Laura Figueroa (@Laura_Figueroa) August 14, 2017
Lee said the inspiration for the project came from the inflatable rats used by unions to protest non-union labor. “It wasn’t until Trump was elected that I knew we had to purpose that imagery in the new and different way,” Lee told the Daily Dot.
After being funded, the giant rat was made in Burnwich, Ohio. Lee said he hopes the inflatable will stay up at its current location for the rest of today and tomorrow before moving around to other parts of the city. Protesters are expected to gather around the rat throughout the rest of the day.
“I wanted to ridicule this guy because he really doesn’t deserve to be president. He really lowered the bar,” Lee said. “I hope he sees it, and I hope he hates it, and I hope it gets under his skin.”
This Trump Rat might not be the end of Lee’s criticism on the current administration. The Trump Rat is intended to be loaned out to protesters for future events.
“I’d like to follow this up with a 3-foot-tall Jeff Sessions that sits in his lap,” Lee said.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.