- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
Trump’s 2013 tweet about ‘best friend’ Putin goes viral after debate
Twitter never forgets.
A Trump tweet from 2013 shot to the top of Twitter Wednesday night to become the most-retweeted post from the debate, according to social media marketing firm M Booth.
Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow – if so, will he become my new best friend?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 19, 2013
Trump found himself denying he has a cozy relationship with Russia’s authoritarian president after Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton accused the Republican nominee of being a “puppet” of the Kremlin, which Clinton cited as the source of cyberattacks against Democratic Party entities and leaks to WikiLeaks.
Asked by Fox News host and debate moderator Chris Wallace whether he “condemns” Russia, Trump pushed back against the notion that he and Putin are “friends.”
“I never met Putin. This is not my best friend,” Trump said. “But if the United States got along with Russia, wouldn’t be so bad.”
Guess we can assume Putin skipped that Miss Universe Pageant—or did he?
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.