- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
Trump’s 2013 tweet about ‘best friend’ Putin goes viral after debate
Twitter never forgets.
A Trump tweet from 2013 shot to the top of Twitter Wednesday night to become the most-retweeted post from the debate, according to social media marketing firm M Booth.
Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow – if so, will he become my new best friend?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 19, 2013
Trump found himself denying he has a cozy relationship with Russia’s authoritarian president after Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton accused the Republican nominee of being a “puppet” of the Kremlin, which Clinton cited as the source of cyberattacks against Democratic Party entities and leaks to WikiLeaks.
Asked by Fox News host and debate moderator Chris Wallace whether he “condemns” Russia, Trump pushed back against the notion that he and Putin are “friends.”
“I never met Putin. This is not my best friend,” Trump said. “But if the United States got along with Russia, wouldn’t be so bad.”
Guess we can assume Putin skipped that Miss Universe Pageant—or did he?
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.