- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
In his role as poster-in-chief, President Donald Trump is bound to make a few typos as he airs his morning grievances online each morning. Most often they are innocuous, but us grammar nerds in the media jump on them to confirm a belief in the president’s dimwittedness.
We should chill out on that, though, because continually posting about his minor typos makes him doing a major one seem less important. Like today, when he accidentally said he speaks to “whales.”
But not just any whales, the whale prince.
That’s a heck of a typo.
“I meet and talk to “foreign governments” every day,” Trump wrote. “I just met with the Queen of England (U.K.), the Prince of Whales, the P.M. of the United Kingdom, the P.M. of Ireland, the President of France and the President of Poland. We talked about “Everything!” Should I immediately…. ….call the FBI about these calls and meetings? How ridiculous! I would never be trusted again. With that being said, my full answer is rarely played by the Fake News Media. They purposely leave out the part that matters.”
In the interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, Trump said he would take information from a foreign government if it helped him in 2020.
“I think you might want to listen; there isn’t anything wrong with listening, If somebody called from a country, Norway, ‘We have information on your opponent,’ oh, I think I’d want to hear it. It’s not an interference, they have information — I think I’d take it.”
Trump then said that he’d “maybe go to the FBI” if there was something wrong with the situation.
Trump is just obfuscating online. No one is demanding he report his private conversations with the queen. But if she hands him illegally obtained pictures from Elizabeth Warren’s hotel room, yeah, he should mention that to the FBI.
Regardless, the “Prince of Whales” doesn’t have the kind of opposable thumbs needed to snoop on 2020 candidates so everyone could at least have a laugh about that before Trump corrected his error.
The president says he speaks whale. pic.twitter.com/eERMZLofwe— Hayes Brown (@HayesBrown) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales is a member of the Atlantis delegation. https://t.co/ZbmwYbE5yY— Travis View (@travis_view) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales pic.twitter.com/gT3RN630hd— Kathryn Watson (@kathrynw5) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales is extremely humbled by the Pres recognition. pic.twitter.com/ZOGTIVrTpQ— ✝ Lipstick Pundit (@Lipstick_Pundit) June 13, 2019
Whales laaaadddd— Jack 🔰🇸🇦 (@MUFC_JackD) June 13, 2019
Whales?— Martin_S (@martinscpfc) June 13, 2019
"THE PRINCE OF WHALES"?— Jennifer Timm (@KittyLynnNYC) June 13, 2019
Again, I must ask....forget about Wharton....are you sure you even graduated from kindergarten?!
- Trump stans Rihanna’s ‘work/life’ balance
- Hannity changes his mind about jailing political opponents
- Trump wears Churchill-style hat during Piers Morgan interview
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]