- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
In his role as poster-in-chief, President Donald Trump is bound to make a few typos as he airs his morning grievances online each morning. Most often they are innocuous, but us grammar nerds in the media jump on them to confirm a belief in the president’s dimwittedness.
We should chill out on that, though, because continually posting about his minor typos makes him doing a major one seem less important. Like today, when he accidentally said he speaks to “whales.”
But not just any whales, the whale prince.
That’s a heck of a typo.
“I meet and talk to “foreign governments” every day,” Trump wrote. “I just met with the Queen of England (U.K.), the Prince of Whales, the P.M. of the United Kingdom, the P.M. of Ireland, the President of France and the President of Poland. We talked about “Everything!” Should I immediately…. ….call the FBI about these calls and meetings? How ridiculous! I would never be trusted again. With that being said, my full answer is rarely played by the Fake News Media. They purposely leave out the part that matters.”
In the interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, Trump said he would take information from a foreign government if it helped him in 2020.
“I think you might want to listen; there isn’t anything wrong with listening, If somebody called from a country, Norway, ‘We have information on your opponent,’ oh, I think I’d want to hear it. It’s not an interference, they have information — I think I’d take it.”
Trump then said that he’d “maybe go to the FBI” if there was something wrong with the situation.
Trump is just obfuscating online. No one is demanding he report his private conversations with the queen. But if she hands him illegally obtained pictures from Elizabeth Warren’s hotel room, yeah, he should mention that to the FBI.
Regardless, the “Prince of Whales” doesn’t have the kind of opposable thumbs needed to snoop on 2020 candidates so everyone could at least have a laugh about that before Trump corrected his error.
The president says he speaks whale. pic.twitter.com/eERMZLofwe— Hayes Brown (@HayesBrown) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales is a member of the Atlantis delegation. https://t.co/ZbmwYbE5yY— Travis View (@travis_view) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales pic.twitter.com/gT3RN630hd— Kathryn Watson (@kathrynw5) June 13, 2019
The Prince of Whales is extremely humbled by the Pres recognition. pic.twitter.com/ZOGTIVrTpQ— ✝ Lipstick Pundit (@Lipstick_Pundit) June 13, 2019
Whales laaaadddd— Jack 🔰🇮🇪 (@MUFC_JackD) June 13, 2019
Whales?— Martin_S (@martinscpfc) June 13, 2019
"THE PRINCE OF WHALES"?— Jennifer Timm (@KittyLynnNYC) June 13, 2019
Again, I must ask....forget about Wharton....are you sure you even graduated from kindergarten?!
- Trump stans Rihanna’s ‘work/life’ balance
- Hannity changes his mind about jailing political opponents
- Trump wears Churchill-style hat during Piers Morgan interview
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]