- Vibe TV puts a premium price tag on piracy 2 Years Ago
- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
- Tan France and Alexa Chung are hosting Netflix’s first fashion show Friday 5:42 PM
- Nonprofit groups express concern with pop-up abortion networks Friday 5:06 PM
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
People within the firm who compiled it refused to testify, prompting Trump’s tweets.
President Donald Trump suggested on Thursday morning that the now-infamous dossier containing the so-called “pee tape” was paid for by either Russia, the FBI, or Democrats—or a vast conspiracy perpetrated by all three parties.
Trump tweeted about the unsubstantiated dossier–which was compiled by Christopher Steele and who recently met with Special Counsel Robert Mueller–in response to several members of the firm responsible for its creation pleading the fifth during a meeting with the House Intelligence Committee.
“Workers of firm involved with the discredited and Fake Dossier take the 5th. Who paid for it, Russia, the FBI or the Dems (or all)?” Trump tweeted.
Workers of firm involved with the discredited and Fake Dossier take the 5th. Who paid for it, Russia, the FBI or the Dems (or all)?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 19, 2017
The dossier alleged numerous connections between Trump’s campaign and Russia, and posits that the country compiled compromising information on Trump–including salacious details about Trump’s sex life. BuzzFeed News first published the contents of the dossier in January.
Members of Fusion GPS, the firm responsible for the dossier, were subpoenaed to appear before the House committee on Wednesday but invoked the fifth amendment, Fox News reports.
Trump’s open question about who paid for the dossier has, however, been settled. The dossier was originally intended as opposition research, CNN reported, and was first funded by Republicans during the 2016 primaries. Democrats continued to pay for it once it was clear he would be the Republican nominee.
Trump has blasted the dossier as “fake news.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).