- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
People within the firm who compiled it refused to testify, prompting Trump’s tweets.
President Donald Trump suggested on Thursday morning that the now-infamous dossier containing the so-called “pee tape” was paid for by either Russia, the FBI, or Democrats—or a vast conspiracy perpetrated by all three parties.
Trump tweeted about the unsubstantiated dossier–which was compiled by Christopher Steele and who recently met with Special Counsel Robert Mueller–in response to several members of the firm responsible for its creation pleading the fifth during a meeting with the House Intelligence Committee.
“Workers of firm involved with the discredited and Fake Dossier take the 5th. Who paid for it, Russia, the FBI or the Dems (or all)?” Trump tweeted.
Workers of firm involved with the discredited and Fake Dossier take the 5th. Who paid for it, Russia, the FBI or the Dems (or all)?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 19, 2017
The dossier alleged numerous connections between Trump’s campaign and Russia, and posits that the country compiled compromising information on Trump–including salacious details about Trump’s sex life. BuzzFeed News first published the contents of the dossier in January.
Members of Fusion GPS, the firm responsible for the dossier, were subpoenaed to appear before the House committee on Wednesday but invoked the fifth amendment, Fox News reports.
Trump’s open question about who paid for the dossier has, however, been settled. The dossier was originally intended as opposition research, CNN reported, and was first funded by Republicans during the 2016 primaries. Democrats continued to pay for it once it was clear he would be the Republican nominee.
Trump has blasted the dossier as “fake news.”
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).