- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action 9 Months Ago
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action 9 Months Ago
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Today 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Today 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Today 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Today 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Today 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Today 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Today 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Today 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Today 2:54 PM
- Netflix ‘Living With Yourself’ trailer offers a double dose of Paul Rudd Today 2:07 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Today 2:04 PM
- Caitlyn Jenner ridiculed with transphobic jokes during Alec Baldwin roast Today 1:27 PM
- Brad Pitt confronts his daddy issues in the sci-fi epic ‘Ad Astra’ Today 1:20 PM
President Donald Trump asked Democrats to work with him on securing funding for his border wall on Monday morning, adding that he was “in the Oval Office” ready to try and drum up votes.
“I’m in the Oval Office. Democrats, come back from vacation now and give us the votes necessary for Border Security, including the Wall. You voted yes in 2006 and 2013. One more yes, but with me in office, I’ll get it built, and Fast!” the president tweeted.
The president deleted an earlier version of the tweet where he mistakenly wrote “3013” instead of “2013.”
I’m in the Oval Office. Democrats, come back from vacation now and give us the votes necessary for Border Security, including the Wall. You voted yes in 2006 and 2013. One more yes, but with me in office, I’ll get it built, and Fast!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 31, 2018
However, not everyone thinks the president was in the Oval Office—as pool reports suggested that there was no Marine stationed outside the West Wing on Monday morning, which is routine when the president is in the office.
Brian Karem, a White House correspondent for Playboy, took a photo on Monday that showed no Marine was stationed there.
Other people did as well.
Trump just tweeted “I am in the Oval Office”. Says he’s working, unlike the Dems. But when POTUS is in West Wing - ie in Oval Office - a marine always stands guard at that door. There has been no marine seen there this morning. pic.twitter.com/2bX33hKvo6— Sebastian Smith (@SebastianAFP) December 31, 2018
However, Zeke Miller, the White House reporter for AP, noted that a Marine being outside the Oval Office isn’t the only sign of the president being inside.
Important: A Marine is usually, but *not always* outside the West Wing when the president is in the Oval. https://t.co/hb3ABsytHg— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) December 31, 2018
Often nighttime, weekends and public holidays. The 100% indicator is whether a USSS agent is posted in the colonnade— Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller) December 31, 2018
Regardless of whether or not Trump was inside the Oval Office as his tweet suggested, the president has been active on Twitter on Monday morning, repeatedly railing against Democrats amid the current partial government shutdown.
Update 11:55am CT:
I just looked into the Oval Office myself, and @POTUS was in fact sitting behind the Resolute Desk working. So, now I’m just waiting for you and the rest of your ilk to either stop jumping to false conclusions, correct the record, or, here’s a thought, call the press team to ask. https://t.co/uzIp0i7Dwo— Hogan Gidley (@hogangidley45) December 31, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).