- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
On Friday, NASA astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch made an interstellar first, becoming the only all-women tandem to conduct a spacewalk.
But President Donald Trump has inserted himself into the conversation by apparently flashing a middle finger at one of the women when she corrected him.
Trump called Meir and Koch to congratulate them on their historic first. On the call, Trump got some of the facts wrong, saying they were the first women to walk in space.
When his mistake was explained to him by Meir, who wanted to note the other woman who walked in space before them, Trump scratched his forehead and ear, with one digit prominently featured.
When gently corrected by one of the astronauts about how other women have spacewalked, Donald Trump uses his middle finger to "fix" his hair.— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) October 21, 2019
How is this even real life? pic.twitter.com/9bnj7XfY1m
As noted by Gizmodo’s Matt Novak, Trump has frequently scratched at his head with his middle finger when bothered, like during a Black History Month listening session, and while discussing NFL players protesting police brutality.
Detractors will see a rude gesture by a churlish world leader, and his supporters will see an absurd outrage over someone scratching an itch.
So was he upset he was corrected by a woman about space history and did he secretly flip her off? Even if he was, it wouldn’t be the most shocking thing he’s done this week.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]