- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
On Friday, NASA astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch made an interstellar first, becoming the only all-women tandem to conduct a spacewalk.
But President Donald Trump has inserted himself into the conversation by apparently flashing a middle finger at one of the women when she corrected him.
Trump called Meir and Koch to congratulate them on their historic first. On the call, Trump got some of the facts wrong, saying they were the first women to walk in space.
When his mistake was explained to him by Meir, who wanted to note the other woman who walked in space before them, Trump scratched his forehead and ear, with one digit prominently featured.
When gently corrected by one of the astronauts about how other women have spacewalked, Donald Trump uses his middle finger to "fix" his hair.— Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) October 21, 2019
How is this even real life? pic.twitter.com/9bnj7XfY1m
As noted by Gizmodo’s Matt Novak, Trump has frequently scratched at his head with his middle finger when bothered, like during a Black History Month listening session, and while discussing NFL players protesting police brutality.
Detractors will see a rude gesture by a churlish world leader, and his supporters will see an absurd outrage over someone scratching an itch.
So was he upset he was corrected by a woman about space history and did he secretly flip her off? Even if he was, it wouldn’t be the most shocking thing he’s done this week.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]