- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
- Tan France and Alexa Chung are hosting Netflix’s first fashion show Friday 5:42 PM
- Nonprofit groups express concern with pop-up abortion networks Friday 5:06 PM
- Pet owners mourn Grumpy Cat with photos of their own grumpy pets Friday 4:41 PM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
It’s the end of an era.
The Trump Alert bot, which tracks likes, follows, unfollows, and other Twitter activity among the first family, spotted the change on Thursday night.
realDonaldTrump appears to no longer follow @MichaelCohen212. (This bot cannot tell if this was an unfollow, suspension or block.)
— Trump Alert (@TrumpsAlert) October 19, 2018
As the bot notes, it is unclear whether Trump unfollowed Cohen or if there was some blocking involved.
The end of their Twitter relationship marks an unceremonious end for the two men.
The president may be salty after his former lawyer accepted a plea deal where he implicated his former boss in a plot to pay off Stormy Daniels and another woman. Or, it could be that Cohen has reportedly changed his party registration from Republican to Democrat earlier this month.
In fact, Cohen’s tweets about the upcoming 2018 midterms may have ruffled Trump.
“The #MidtermElections2018 might be the most important vote in our lifetime. #GetOutAndVote #VoteNovember6th,” Cohen tweeted days after the news broke of his new party registration.
— Michael Cohen (@MichaelCohen212) October 14, 2018
Earlier this week in a piece by Vanity Fair, a friend said that Cohen had regrets about his time working for the now-president and is now trying “to make it right.”
“What you see now is a return to who he was before all of this,” the friend told the news outlet. “He’s an open book, and he’s adamant to make it right.”
The end of the Twitter relationship caught the attention of people online.
Was it something he said?
— Tin Man 🤖 (@Amalgam65) October 19, 2018
So Thanksgiving is off?
— Devin (@devbost) October 19, 2018
— Jinglebitch (@laneysera) October 19, 2018
He finally got around to unfollowing him just now?!
— Rob Voreck (@RobVoreck) October 19, 2018
Cohen still follows both the president’s personal account and the official @POTUS account as well as numerous members of the first family, including Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Melania Trump.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).