- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
Donald Trump’s spokesperson doesn’t regret her 2012 tweet about ‘pure breeds’
J.K. Rowling also weighed in.
Pierson posted the tweet during the 2012 presidential race. Politicos are frequently embarrassed when their unsavory tweets resurface—but not Pierson.
She was asked about the tweet Sunday on CNN’s Reliable Sources and didn’t walk back her remarks, arguing that referencing the “breed” of the presidential candidates was not offensive because she herself identifies with the term “half-breed.”
“Look, these tweets—I’m an activist, and I am a half-breed, I’m always getting called a half-breed, and on Twitter, when you’re fighting with liberals and even establishment, you go back at them in the same silliness they’re giving you,” Pierson said. “So I myself am a half-breed.”
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling also weighed in on Twitter. Pierson’s tweet drew comparisons to the Potter series because half-wizard characters are sometimes derogatorily referred to as “half-breeds” in the books.
Kate Conger is a politics and cybersecurity journalist who currently writes for Gizmodo. Her work has previously appeared in BuzzFeed, Digital Trends, Real Clear Politics, San Francisco Examiner, and elsewhere. Together with Dell Cameron, she won the Society of Professional Journalists' award for Best Scoop in 2017 for a report on the leak of data about 200 million American voters.