- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
Moments after Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy announced he would retire next month—thus giving President Donald Trump another shot at nominating a conservative justice to the nation’s highest court—people online suggested the president take a different route and instead push for “civility” by nominating a name plenty of people are familiar with: Merrick Garland.
They succeeded—and even though they’ll do it again—that hasn’t stopped centrist dweebs from pleading with the president on Twitter to make a move to the middle.
Carper on who Trump should nominate: “If I were the president, I would say, how can I restore some comity, some sense of bipartisanship around here? I would say Merrick Garland is still available.”— Igor Bobic (@igorbobic) June 27, 2018
TWO WORDS: Merrick Garland. Trump should nominate him.— Marty Milner (@martymilner) June 27, 2018
Would be ironic if Trump selected Merrick Garland to replace Justice Kennedy on the SC. Soften up the Dems before November with a like for like, give a fuck you to Obama for not being able to get it through & then hit US with a right wing replacement for Ginsberg after midterms.— Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) June 27, 2018
Trump should offer to appoint Merrick Garland to the court if RBG retires.— Lord Single Malt (@Singlemaltfiend) June 27, 2018
While some people are hoping for some sort of hypothetical compromise and civility in politics, others have already called on Democrats to try and block any Supreme Court nominee Trump sets forward.
Other people online are demanding that Democrats only vote for, surprise, Garland.
Basically, the fight on Twitter was exactly what you’d expect.
BREAKING NEWS: Supreme Court announces Justice Kennedy is retiring. Trump to receive another pick for SCOTUS.@SenSchumer and @SenateDems better pull a Mitch McConnell and block every single one of Trump’s nominations and shout “Merrick Garland” as they’re doing it.— Ryan Knight ☘️ (@ProudResister) June 27, 2018
I think @SenSchumer should promise voters that if Democrats control the Senate, he won’t hold a hearing or a vote next time Trump nominates anyone besides Merrick Garland to be a Supreme Court Justice— Rob Hatch-Miller (@robhatchmiller) June 26, 2018
Fuck Mitch McConnell. Trump’s next Supreme Court nominee should be given the Merrick Garland treatment. https://t.co/qB5zRuli8b— Joe Marshall (@marshall5912) June 27, 2018
Hey @TheDemocrats you better boycott every Trump nominee who isn’t named Merrick Garland.— Dan Roman (@DannRomann) June 27, 2018
Dems need to move heaven and Earth to block a trump scotus nominee because of the GOP's block on Garland 2 years ago.— studious moose (@RobbyBuddie) June 27, 2018
It will only take 51 Senate votes to confirm Justice Kennedy replacement. Trump has vetted list & will rush this nomination, push unrelentingly 4 confirmation with 130+ days to election. Dems must remember McConnell obstruction on Merrick Garland. Elections have consequences!!— Hon. Ellen Tauscher (@EllenOTauscher) June 27, 2018
Of course, Sen. Warren is already saying Dems shouldn't obstruct SCOTUS pick because that would "further erode norms." "Depends on the nominee," she says, as if Trump will pick anyone not wingnutty. Eye for an eye! They stole Garland, we steal back. Let SCOTUS be 8 until 2021!— "Radical" Russ Belville (@RadicalRuss) June 27, 2018
Then there’s this.
OMG! Just when you thought this week couldn't get more lit... I give you Anthony Kennedy's retirement from #SCOTUS— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) June 27, 2018
This would be pretty awesome😂😂😂 https://t.co/TrM714IMAR— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) June 27, 2018
None of this will happen. Trump will almost assuredly nominate a staunchly conservative justice to the Supreme Court, to solidify a right-leaning court for the foreseeable future.
And Democrats will cave. In fact, they already have.
Dem. Senator BLUMENTHAL: “The Senate should do nothing to artificially delay” consideration of next justice, but POTUS should take his time & make a centrist choice.— Garrett Haake (@GarrettHaake) June 27, 2018
So yes, of course Trump will pick Garland instead of getting exactly what he wants.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).