- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
President Donald Trump gave his strongest endorsement today of Alamaba Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore, who is running in a special election to replace Attorney General Jeff Sessions against Democrat Doug Jones.
In the past few weeks, the Moore campaign has been embroiled in scandal as reports came out about his sexual assault of a teenage girl and relationships with other underage women.
Trump had waffled on supporting Moore—originally campaigning for his primary opponent Luther Strange—before going mum after the reports against Moore surfaced. But his support has grown as the election neared and this morning he told Alabamans to vote for Moore, who is an accused pedophile.
Democrats refusal to give even one vote for massive Tax Cuts is why we need Republican Roy Moore to win in Alabama. We need his vote on stopping crime, illegal immigration, Border Wall, Military, Pro Life, V.A., Judges 2nd Amendment and more. No to Jones, a Pelosi/Schumer Puppet!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 4, 2017
Putting Pelosi/Schumer Liberal Puppet Jones into office in Alabama would hurt our great Republican Agenda of low on taxes, tough on crime, strong on military and borders...& so much more. Look at your 401-k’s since Election. Highest Stock Market EVER! Jobs are roaring back!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 4, 2017
Trump’s endorsement comes in the wake of the Senate’s slim passage of its tax reform bill, 51-49. The bill heads to reconciliation now and will need to be approved again by the Senate after it is combined with the version the House passed. That process will likely occur after Alabama’s election on Dec. 12.
Later this week, Trump heads to Pensacola, Florida, on the Alabama border for a rally. Trump has not said if he will campaign for Moore.
Over the weekend, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who had previously said Moore should drop out of the race, said he now believes it is up to the people of Alabama to decide if Moore is fit for office,
Update 1:24pm CT, Dec. 4: President Trump gave Roy Moore his official support in a phone call this morning, saying he “liked a fighter.”
According to reports, Trump concluded the call with “Go get ’em, Roy.”
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]