- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? 11 Months Ago
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
The Trump-Cohen tapes are damning to everyone—except the president’s biggest fans
Trump is infallible in their eyes.
Late last night, CNN obtained one of the reported recordings of President Donald Trump and his lawyer, Michael Cohen, during the run-up to the 2016 election. In the audio, they discuss a possible payoff to a woman who Trump had an affair with.
Full audio: Presidential candidate Trump is heard on tape discussing with his attorney Michael Cohen how they would buy the rights to a Playboy model's story about an alleged affair Trump had with her years earlier, according to the audio recording "https://t.co/YmC0QuDqTx pic.twitter.com/fBbq7r1Lq9
— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) July 25, 2018
The two men talk about purchasing the rights to Karen McDougal’s story from the National Enquirer, who had previously bought it, most likely to keep the story from being published to help Trump.
The recording was provided to CNN by Cohen’s lawyer, Lanny Davis. While the tape is open for interpretation, it seems fairly clear that Trump was aware of the idea of a payment being made to woman to keep silent about their affair, which could wind up being a violation of campaign finance laws.
This morning, Trump tweeted about the news, saying it was unfairly edited.
What kind of a lawyer would tape a client? So sad! Is this a first, never heard of it before? Why was the tape so abruptly terminated (cut) while I was presumably saying positive things? I hear there are other clients and many reporters that are taped – can this be so? Too bad!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 25, 2018
But the president doesn’t need to defend himself on this one, because, when the story broke last night, his most ardent supporters weren’t baffled or shocked by it. They loved it.
Because one of the reasons Trump is so popular with his young, male fanbase on Reddit’s The_Donald is because he has affairs like this.
You know, if our MSM would only have vetted candidate Trump more thoroughly during the primaries, we wouldn’t be so shocked to find out now that he’s a Billionaire Playboy. So thank you, for releasing the tapes of his private conversation with his lawyer. *sarcastic sigh* from The_Donald
And doesn’t care.
The left-wing hysteria over it was also dismissed with memes.
His supporters really took a shine to a moment in the tape when Trump, while discussing the payment with Cohen, nonchalantly wanted a Coke (at the 2:30 mark here).
They thought the whole interaction spoke volumes about his character.
And they rushed to help out their God-Emperor with his request.
The subreddit also went after CNN, their favorite target. The news network was accused of timing the story to damage Trump.
CNN is probably had those tapes for a little while now and decided to release last night ahead of the European trade talks today in an attempt to embarrass our president and weaken him in front of world leaders, this is a straight-up Jim Acosta reeeee move, fuck CNN
Yet, despite that claim, some also argued the release of the tapes was possibly orchestrated by the chess master himself, Trump.
“Queue the mania machine. They’ve got nothing. There is nothing. Before he was the president, he was Batman IRL, and banged Hollyweird and Vegas’ finest. Huge shocker. If this is what a leftist happening looks like, there’s no hope for them. In other news, our side proved the Mueller probe was a lie, gutted security clearances for some deep state rats, and took down a Hollywood sex trafficking cult. Pretty good day TBH.”
Whether CNN’s Jim Acosta released the tapes to damage Trump or Trump allowed the tapes to be released to somehow damage the left seems mutually exclusive, but in the bizarre world of r/The_Donald, nothing ever matters except that their president is infallible.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]