- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Tuesday 10:50 AM
Trump’s wild ‘I will always capitalize Country’ claim is meme gold
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Where did this come from?
“When referring to the USA, I will always capitalize the word Country!” the president wrote.
When referring to the USA, I will always capitalize the word Country!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 19, 2018
The sheer oddness of the tweet quickly brought reactions from people on Twitter.
wHeN rEfErRiNG tO tHe UsA, i WiLl AlWayS cApiTaLIze the WoRD cOunTRy! https://t.co/bndBiLY16q
— Dusty (@DustinGiebel) October 19, 2018
And why not capitalize the "of"? Go USOA!!!!! https://t.co/PMLPYQbJnK
— David Corn (@DavidCornDC) October 19, 2018
Ignoring basic capitalization rules to own the libs https://t.co/3NUELD5l5s
— Scott Wampler™ (@ScottWamplerBMD) October 19, 2018
No one doubts your commitment to capitalizing on our country, sir. https://t.co/kuMTYhtQWG
— Dara Very Rude Elevator Screamers Kaye (@DaraKaye) October 19, 2018
— Brandt (@UrbanAchievr) October 19, 2018
flight attendant: ok but I just asked if you wanted pretzels https://t.co/MxMvb9ioq2
— Jon Savitt (@savittj) October 19, 2018
Others took the “when referring to” part of Trump’s tweet and applied it to other things.
When referring to the Eagles I will always say The Eagles even though the proper name is just Eagles
— John Hendrickson (@JohnGHendy) October 19, 2018
When referring to Ivanka, I will always capitalize the word Nepotism. pic.twitter.com/NpmaB18kce
— Robert Maguire (@RobertMaguire_) October 19, 2018
When referring to former American boy band *NSYNC I will always include the asterisk.
— Notorious T.H.I.C.C. (@lukestennes) October 19, 2018
When referring to Juvenile's 1999 hit single, I will always say Back That AZZ Up, not Back That ASS Up! https://t.co/bSF5ig06CI
— ℙ𝔸𝕋 (@PatsHoppedUp) October 19, 2018
Of course, the president claiming that he always capitalizes “country” in his tweets is not correct.
Here are just a few recent examples where Trump wrote “country” (referring to the United States) and did not capitalize it:
….The assault on our country at our Southern Border, including the Criminal elements and DRUGS pouring in, is far more important to me, as President, than Trade or the USMCA. Hopefully Mexico will stop this onslaught at their Northern Border. All Democrats fault for weak laws!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 18, 2018
Congressman @PeteSessions of Texas is a true fighter and patriot. Highly respected in D.C. by all, he always gets what his district, and our country, wants and needs. Strong on Crime, Border, Military, Vets and 2nd Amendment. Pete has my Full and Total Endorsement. A great guy!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 3, 2018
Wow, such enthusiasm and energy for Judge Brett Kavanaugh. Look at the Energy, look at the Polls. Something very big is happening. He is a fine man and great intellect. The country is with him all the way!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 4, 2018
Our Economy is setting records on virtually every front – Probably the best our country has ever done. Tremendous value created since the Election. The World is respecting us again! Companies are moving back to the U.S.A.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 24, 2018
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).