- ‘SNL’ skit combines Harry Styles, the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and Disney+ 1 Year Ago
- Doctored photo of GOP congresswoman flipping the bird fools critics Today 1:05 PM
- Internet scammers taking advantage of Narwhal the ‘unicorn’ rescue puppy Today 12:19 PM
- Sunday Night Football: How to stream Bears vs. Rams live Today 12:00 PM
- CupcakKe’s month-long ‘water fast’ has fans concerned Today 11:24 AM
- Will.i.am claims ‘racist’ flight attendant called police on him Today 10:28 AM
- How does Disney+ compare to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and Apple TV+? Today 9:35 AM
- How to stream Patriots vs. Eagles live Today 9:30 AM
- Girl turns herself into ‘pleading face’ emoji Today 9:27 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Lions live Today 9:00 AM
- Chaotic good, true neutral: The 2020 Democrat alignment chart Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Brazil live in the U-17 World Cup final Today 3:00 AM
- Influencer gets prison time for performing illegal cosmetic procedures on followers Saturday 5:13 PM
- Parent immediately regrets baby monitor after seeing ‘possessed’ baby Saturday 3:53 PM
- Buttigieg used Kenyan stock photo to promote plan for Black America (updated) Saturday 2:29 PM
President Donald Trump tweeted out several flattering poll numbers on Monday morning, but the internet is having a hard time figuring out where some of them came from.
“Over 90% approval rating for your all time favorite (I hope) President within the Republican Party and 52% overall,” the president tweeted. “This despite all of the made up stories by the Fake News Media trying endlessly to make me look as bad and evil as possible. Look at the real villains please!”
Over 90% approval rating for your all time favorite (I hope) President within the Republican Party and 52% overall. This despite all of the made up stories by the Fake News Media trying endlessly to make me look as bad and evil as possible. Look at the real villains please!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 27, 2018
The president’s instance that he has a 52 percent approval rating has left many people online wondering where he got the polling data from.
Real Clear Politics, which tracks numerous Trump approval polls and calculates an average based on them, has Trump with a 43.6 percent approval rating.
It does, however, show the president with a 52.7 percent disapproval rating, essentially the same number he tweeted about the approval of his time in office.
No recent polls have Trump higher than a 46 percent approval rating, and Rasmussen—a polling firm that the president has routinely used to highlight favorable numbers—currently has the president’s approval rating at 46 percent.
Rasmussen has not had the president’s approval rating as high as 52 percent since mid-March.
A poll from the Wall Street Journal and NBC News released on Sunday said 44 percent of voters approve of the president.
Within that poll, it also found that 90 percent of Republicans approve of the president. So that part of his tweet is correct.
Once again, a 10 second Google search would show this is a complete lie. Trump is not at 52% in any poll and even Rasmussen has him sitting at 46%.— Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher) August 27, 2018
He does have 52% disapproval in multiple polls, but that's his only connection to 52%. https://t.co/CT7LrYlsOT
Just checked Real Clear Politics to make sure I wasn't crazy. No one has him at 52 percent. He's making up numbers to complain about "made up stories." https://t.co/bkl3E5s3Rl— Michael Freeman (@michaelpfreeman) August 27, 2018
Actually it was a 52% DISapproval overall. If we ever go to war I pray you will pay closer attention to the details. https://t.co/kkoCaOs3Ke— August West (@AugustWestGD) August 27, 2018
Not a kind word about John McCain.— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) August 27, 2018
Not a word about the mass shooting in Jacksonville.
No contrition about his campaign chairman's conviction.
Or about his lawyer's guilty plea.
Or his lawyer naming him as a co-conspirator in a crime.
No wonder everyone is flipping on him. https://t.co/FaodRHsWMh
Amidst the Jacksonville news, this... https://t.co/lNQhseckS4— Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard) August 27, 2018
A gunman murdered at least two Americans in Jacksonville today, an American war hero & GOP presidential nominee passed away last night, and our has disrespected both while tweeting about his inflated, doctored, propaganda approval ratings??? That my friends is a bonafide POS! https://t.co/AowYMUDfRv— Morgan J. Freeman (@mjfree) August 27, 2018
*Mass shooting in Jacksonville*— Vicki's Final Aeon @PAX West (@mistermegative) August 27, 2018
...And sorry for those that lost their lives today in Jacksonville, smh... https://t.co/6pXak9Jyuj— SuperheroPOLL! plus+ (@SuperheroPOLL) August 27, 2018
Trump did tweet about McCain over the weekend.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).