- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
- Elon Musk tweeted ‘through space’ Tuesday 1:16 PM
President Donald Trump and Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai ate lunch the same day a federal court released its decision on a much anticipated net neutrality case, according to a new report.
Axios reported on the lunch on Tuesday morning, citing sources.
Last week, the United States Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit released a decision that mostly upheld the order the FCC used to repeal net neutrality rules. However, the court also threw out a portion of it that blocked states from enacting their own laws in the absence of federal-level laws.
The lunch between Trump and Pai on the day of the decision—which had been anticipated for months—was a coincidence and called a “family” event, the sources told Axios.
“We just WON the big court case on Net Neutrality Rules! A great win for the future and speed of the internet. Will lead to many big things including 5G. Congratulations to the FCC and its Chairman, Ajit Pai!” the president tweeted early Monday morning.
We just WON the big court case on Net Neutrality Rules! A great win for the future and speed of the internet. Will lead to many big things including 5G. Congratulations to the FCC and its Chairman, Ajit Pai!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 7, 2019
While Trump claimed victory, a number of net neutrality advocates have said the ruling does open up the door for states to try and enact their own laws, some of which, like one in California, actually go farther than the repealed 2015 Open Internet Order did.
You can read all of the report from Axios here.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).