- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars 4 Years Ago
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Today 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Today 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Today 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
Donald Trump sent Tom Brady a ‘Make America Great Again’ hat
Tom Brady, though, isn’t saying whether he’d vote for Donald Trump.
Given his record of beating ball-deflation charges, it’s no surprise that Tom Brady is a winner in Donald Trump’s book.
He was the NFL’s big victor last week when a U.S. District Court judge for the Patriots quarterback’s role in #Deflategate. As we all know, Donald Trump loves a winner.
Just days after Brady’s win in a U.S. district court in the saga that has become known as “Deflategate,” a reporter spotted one of Trump’s now-iconic “Make America Great Again” hats in Brady’s locker.
Brady, who has kept his political beliefs to himself (although he’s believed to be a conservative), admitted Tuesday that the hat was his and that Trump, the 2016 Republican frontrunner, is conducting an “amazing” presidential run.
He also confirmed to WEEI that the hat was a present from Trump.
“He sent it to me via [Patriots owner Robert Kraft],” Brady said. “I’ve known him for a long time, and he always gives me a call on different types of motivational speeches at different times. Now that he’s running for president, he sent me a hat and he gave it to [Kraft] a couple of weeks ago, so it found its way to my locker.”
The friendship, Brady said, began in 2002 when he was a judge at the Miss USA pageant. Brady wouldn’t say whether he would vote for Trump, his old golfing buddy, but he did allow that he was impressed by the businessman’s performance thus far.
“It’s pretty amazing what he’s been able to accomplish as an entrepreneur and then really as a television star and now running for political office,” Brady said. “People who can do those types of things and can transition into different arenas and still have that type of appeal and carryover, he’s obviously appealing to a lot of people and he’s a hell of a lot of fun to play golf with.”
Trump sent Brady some love after he was vindicated in the Deflategate scandal, clearly pumped that Brady had beaten the rap.
Congratulations to Tom Brady on yet another great victory- Tom is my friend and a total winner!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 3, 2015
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.