- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
Mexico elected a far-left leaning politician, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, in an overwhelming fashion on Sunday. Now, it’s got supporters of President Donald Trump freaked out.
López Obrador ran on a platform of a strong social safety net, vowing to address poverty, violence, and corruption in a nation that’s been plagued by it.
And now—while a growing Democratic Socialist movement is challenging the American right, Trump’s strongest fans are freaking out from a staunchly liberal threat from the south.
Predominantly, in his campaign, López Obrador called immigration a “human right,” which has far-right conservatives thinking—without evidence—that he plans to flood the United States with criminals.
Those words, if you recall, echo the president’s presidential campaign speech, and Trump’s most notorious fan base. And now that López Obrador won, r/The_Donald, is worried.
Lopez Obrador won. President of every foreigner has a right to enter into the US and wants to flood the US with mass immigration criminals. Time to rev up aggressivly against Mexico. Sanctions. Sanctions. Sanctions from The_Donald
Others, who often cite Venezuela as an example of socialist policies creating a failed state, believe that an avowed leftist running the nation next to them will lead to greater poverty, which creates an even more urgent need for Trump’s border wall.
It was a call that echoed throughout the web.
López Obrador, an Atypical Leftist, Wins Mexico Presidency in Landslide. Put more simply, BUILD THE WALL NOW! from The_Donald
#BUILDTHEWALL! #BUILDTHEWALL! #BUILDTHEWALL! Mexico's Next President Boldly Declares That Immigration To The United States Is A "Human Right" from The_Donald
Then there was also the fear that Lopez Obrador would drive Mexico down the path of Nazism.
The new Mexican President is a National Socialist. He looks at America the same way Hitler looked at Poland and the Baltic States, just potential "Lebensraum" and wealth to be attained. from The_Donald
(It’s somewhat ironic given how much Trump and his supporters have been accused of careening toward fascism.)
While his supporters have decreed this new lefty threat will bring a whole host of new problems to America, President Trump offered his support in a tweet.
Congratulations to Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on becoming the next President of Mexico. I look very much forward to working with him. There is much to be done that will benefit both the United States and Mexico!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 2, 2018
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]ydot.com.