- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China 4 Years Ago
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing 4 Years Ago
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Today 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Today 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Today 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Today 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Today 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Today 12:14 PM
- Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Today 11:44 AM
- Graphic video shows father beating young daughter for being sexually active Today 11:40 AM
- Black conservative activist made #IceBae a thing Today 9:53 AM
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Pennyworth’ is a deliriously strange addition to the Batman franchise Today 7:30 AM
- How to read free magazines with your Amazon Prime membership Today 7:00 AM
- 2020 celeb donations: Hanks loves Biden, Stamos stans Buttigieg Today 6:30 AM
Texas police officer on leave after pulling gun on unarmed teens during pool party
A young girl is seen being wrestled and pinned to the ground.
Warning: This story contains disturbing content.
A video out of McKinney, Texas, shows a white police officer pointing his gun at a group of unarmed black teens, and the officer has been placed on administrative leave.
The video was uploaded to YouTube on Saturday by Brandon Brooks, who was present at the party. In the description, Brooks says there was a fight at the pool between a mother and daughter, and the police were called.
It appears that three white officers responded to the call, and everyone at the Craig Ranch North Community Pool panicked and ran. But the officers didn’t want to let them go and, according to Brooks, “just started putting everyone on the ground and in handcuffs for no reason.”
The climax of the video comes at the three-minute mark, when one of the officers wrestles and then pins a bikini-clad young girl to the ground. He gets up and draws his gun at a couple of boys trying to help her. Then he goes back to the girl, putting his knee on her back and handcuffing her for no evident reason.
On Sunday, Brooks, who is white, told BuzzFeed News, “I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don’t live in the neighborhood were in the pool. Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic. [The cop] didn’t even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible.”
The McKinney Police Department responded to the incident and the video, via Facebook.
At this time, the suspended officer has not been identified.
Update 6:31pm CT, June 7: McKinney Police Chief Greg Conley held a press conference today and addressed the June 5 incident, which involved a 14-year-old girl. He did not identify the officer on leave, but said they’re conducting a “complete and thorough investigation.”
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.