- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Tuesday 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Tuesday 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Tuesday 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Tuesday 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Tuesday 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Tuesday 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Tuesday 10:23 AM
Texas police officer on leave after pulling gun on unarmed teens during pool party
A young girl is seen being wrestled and pinned to the ground.
Warning: This story contains disturbing content.
A video out of McKinney, Texas, shows a white police officer pointing his gun at a group of unarmed black teens, and the officer has been placed on administrative leave.
The video was uploaded to YouTube on Saturday by Brandon Brooks, who was present at the party. In the description, Brooks says there was a fight at the pool between a mother and daughter, and the police were called.
It appears that three white officers responded to the call, and everyone at the Craig Ranch North Community Pool panicked and ran. But the officers didn’t want to let them go and, according to Brooks, “just started putting everyone on the ground and in handcuffs for no reason.”
The climax of the video comes at the three-minute mark, when one of the officers wrestles and then pins a bikini-clad young girl to the ground. He gets up and draws his gun at a couple of boys trying to help her. Then he goes back to the girl, putting his knee on her back and handcuffing her for no evident reason.
On Sunday, Brooks, who is white, told BuzzFeed News, “I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don’t live in the neighborhood were in the pool. Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic. [The cop] didn’t even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible.”
The McKinney Police Department responded to the incident and the video, via Facebook.
At this time, the suspended officer has not been identified.
Update 6:31pm CT, June 7: McKinney Police Chief Greg Conley held a press conference today and addressed the June 5 incident, which involved a 14-year-old girl. He did not identify the officer on leave, but said they’re conducting a “complete and thorough investigation.”
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.