- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ 3 Years Ago
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
Ted Cruz wins major victory over Donald Trump in Utah
Is this a sign of a Trump slowdown?
In a resounding victory, Cruz has secured 69.2 percent of the vote, easily surpassing the 50-percent threshold needed to secure all 40 of Utah’s 40 Republican delegates. Neither Ohio Gov. John Kasich (16.9 percent) nor Trump (14 percent) will take home any delegates.
In polls leading up to the caucus in Utah, Cruz led the Republican field by 24 points. However, the margin of support does not tell the full story.
Utah is home to a major Mormon population, which is far more supportive of immigration rights and religious freedom than other voting demographics—two issues that have served Trump well in other states but likely hurt the New York businessman in Utah.
Cruz’s win comes on the heels of a personal spat with Trump, who on Tuesday night threatened to “spill the beans” on Cruz’s wife, Heidi, after an anti-Trump super PAC released an ad featuring a nude photo of Melania Trump, the candidate’s wife.
Despite Cruz’s resounding victory in Utah, Trump remains the clear delegate winner of Tuesday night, having won all 58 of Arizona’s delegates, which pushes his total delegate count to 739, compared to second-place Cruz’s 465. Trump needs 1,237 delegates to win the Republican presidential nomination.
Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Once named one of Forbes’ 20 Under 20 and hired as a staff writer for the Daily Dot when he was still a senior in high school, William Turton is a rising tech reporter focusing on information security, hacking culture, and politics. Since leaving the Daily Dot in April 2016, his work has appeared on Gizmodo, the Outline, and Vice News Tonight on HBO.