- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports resolution that could lead to Trump’s impeachment Thursday 9:46 PM
- Ricardo Milos dancing memes are the new Rickroll Thursday 9:09 PM
- Laura Loomer sues Twitter, Muslim lobbying group over account ban Thursday 8:15 PM
- Far-right troll Ian Miles Cheong gets flamed for mocking a ‘Star Wars’ fan Thursday 6:17 PM
- Facebook says ‘millions,’ not ‘tens of thousands,’ affected by Instagram password bug Thursday 5:13 PM
- Leading 2020 Democrats mock redactions in Mueller report Thursday 4:04 PM
- 8 weed accessories for stealthy stoners Thursday 4:00 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players are now fighting on giant d*cks Thursday 3:37 PM
- Why are Facebook and Google translating this Spanish word into a racial slur? Thursday 3:32 PM
- Instagram page encourages meme creators to join a meme union Thursday 3:24 PM
- 28 smokin’ hot gifts for your stoner friend Thursday 1:33 PM
- The 5 most important conclusions from Robert Mueller’s report Thursday 1:28 PM
- Facebook bans many of the U.K.’s infamous far-right groups Thursday 1:15 PM
- Cersei and Tyrion Lannister learned about respect from Elmo Thursday 12:57 PM
- The Mueller Report includes a footnote about the pee tape Thursday 12:08 PM
All Trump’s mocking Ted Cruz tweets come up after president promises rally
Trump’s signing a different tune now about Ted Cruz.
President Donald Trump said on Friday that he will host a “major rally” for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tx.) in October—but several of the president’s mocking tweets about the senator from the 2016 presidential campaign have popped up, taking the thunder out of his announcement.
I will be doing a major rally for Senator Ted Cruz in October. I’m picking the biggest stadium in Texas we can find. As you know, Ted has my complete and total Endorsement. His opponent is a disaster for Texas – weak on Second Amendment, Crime, Borders, Military, and Vets!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 31, 2018
While Trump said that Cruz has his “complete and total endorsement” on Friday—just days after a poll found the race between Cruz and his Democratic challenger Beto O’Rourke to be a near tie—his views on the senator were quite different in the heat of a presidential campaign.
In fact, in February 2016, the president wondered why anyone in Texas would vote for Cruz, a notion he clearly doesn’t still hold as he said he wants to hold a rally for him in “the biggest stadium in Texas we can find.”
“Why would the people of Texas support Ted Cruz when he has accomplished absolutely nothing for them. He is another all talk, no action pol!” the president wrote.
Why would the people of Texas support Ted Cruz when he has accomplished absolutely nothing for them. He is another all talk, no action pol!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 28, 2016
Trump also bashed Cruz a month later for failing to reach out to evangelical voters.
“The reason lyin’ Ted Cruz has lost so much of the evangelical vote is that they are very smart and just don’t tolerate liars-a big problem!” Trump wrote in March 2016.
The reason lyin' Ted Cruz has lost so much of the evangelical vote is that they are very smart and just don't tolerate liars-a big problem!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 17, 2016
Trump also questioned why voters in Texas would vote for Cruz if he was born in Canada.
“Why would Texans vote for ‘liar’ Ted Cruz when he was born in Canada, lived there for 4 years-and remained a Canadian citizen until recently,” the now-president wrote in February 2016.
Why would Texans vote for "liar" Ted Cruz when he was born in Canada, lived there for 4 years-and remained a Canadian citizen until recently
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 24, 2016
Of course, all of Trump’s old tweets about the senator were brought up on Friday in light of his announcement that he will campaign for him.
2018: Ted Cruz has Trump's "complete and total endorsement".
— Dave Hogg (@stareagle) August 31, 2018
It wasn't long ago Trump was routinely calling the Texas senator "Lyin' Ted Cruz."
He's attacked Cruz's wife's appearance, called out his Canadian roots, implicated his dad in JFK's assassination, and said he's "a cheater" who "holds the Bible high and then lies."
But now… https://t.co/BKmRwhEWKE
— John Haltiwanger (@jchaltiwanger) August 31, 2018
“Why would the people of Texas support Ted Cruz when he has accomplished absolutely nothing for them. He is another all talk, no action pol!”
-Donald J. Trump, February 28, 2016 https://t.co/189z8XseF6
— Diego Hernández (@diegoeh7) August 31, 2018
— JamieTaylor (@thejamietaylor) August 31, 2018
However, it is possible the relationship between Trump and the senator may have changed since the heated presidential race.
“The same cultural safe spaces that blinkered coastal elites to candidate Trump’s popularity have rendered them blind to President Trump’s achievements on behalf of ordinary Americans,” the senator wrote.
Perhaps a write-up in a magazine the president has been known to enjoy is all it took to wash away the vitriol of a presidential election?
- Texas GOP’s attempt to attack Beto O’Rourke over his old mugshot backfires
- Conservatives’ latest flag controversy is over a Neil Armstrong movie
- Trump’s disapproval rating just hit an all-time high
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).