- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Cruz’s ‘double-occupancy cell’ joke is the new ‘triple meat Whataburger’ attack.
While attacking O’Rourke over a lack of support for Israel, a woman shouted at Cruz to “lock him up.”
Cruz—who once was the staunchest Never Trumpers in the Republican Party—instead of dismissing the cry, leaned into it, looping O’Rourke in with former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who Trump frequently demands to be jailed.
“Well, you know, there’s a double-occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said.
It should be noted that voting “no” on funding a missile defense system for Israel is not an arrestable offense.
Cruz at least seemed aware that his response was maybe a mistake.
“Y’all are gonna get me in trouble with that,” he said, according to Mother Jones. “They’re not gonna cover anything about taxes or anything else, that’s gonna be the entire news broadcast.”
Ted Cruz joked that his Democratic challenger, Rep. Beto O’Rourke, should be thrown in jail with Hillary Clinton. Read more: https://bit.ly/2AoFsLe
Posted by Mother Jones Video on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Cruz’s remarks were decried online.
So Ted Cruz is threatening to put Beto O'Rourke in prison? In prison with Hillary Clinton, apparently? Things are accelerating. https://t.co/L68wwUTTb0
— Ken Layne (@KenLayne) October 24, 2018
— Bruce Logan (@BruceKLogan) October 24, 2018
The level to which politicians will stoop when discussing their political opponents tells you all you need to know about them — Ted Cruz says Beto O'Rourke can have "double occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton" after supporter yells "lock him up" https://t.co/5R70fLeMxq
— Jana Lynne Sanchez (@janasanchez) October 24, 2018
Ted Cruz keeping it classy in 2018. Of course we should expect nothing less from Donald Trump’s lap dog. https://t.co/Mi2xSAawDl
— James Kosur (@JamesKosur) October 24, 2018
Cruz’s “double occupancy” joke harkens back to another of his multiplier-themed insults of O’Rourke: that he was a “triple-meat Whataburger liberal.”
H/T Mother Jones
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]