- How to unlock hidden filters and effects for Instagram Stories 10 Months Ago
- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
While attacking O’Rourke over a lack of support for Israel, a woman shouted at Cruz to “lock him up.”
Cruz—who once was the staunchest Never Trumpers in the Republican Party—instead of dismissing the cry, leaned into it, looping O’Rourke in with former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who Trump frequently demands to be jailed.
“Well, you know, there’s a double-occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said.
It should be noted that voting “no” on funding a missile defense system for Israel is not an arrestable offense.
Cruz at least seemed aware that his response was maybe a mistake.
“Y’all are gonna get me in trouble with that,” he said, according to Mother Jones. “They’re not gonna cover anything about taxes or anything else, that’s gonna be the entire news broadcast.”
Ted Cruz Jokes About Locking Up Beto O'Rourke
Ted Cruz joked that his Democratic challenger, Rep. Beto O’Rourke, should be thrown in jail with Hillary Clinton. Read more: https://bit.ly/2AoFsLePosted by Mother Jones Video on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Cruz’s remarks were decried online.
So Ted Cruz is threatening to put Beto O'Rourke in prison? In prison with Hillary Clinton, apparently? Things are accelerating. https://t.co/L68wwUTTb0— Ken Layne (@KenLayne) October 24, 2018
The level to which politicians will stoop when discussing their political opponents tells you all you need to know about them — Ted Cruz says Beto O'Rourke can have "double occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton" after supporter yells "lock him up" https://t.co/5R70fLeMxq— Jana Lynne Sanchez (@janasanchez) October 24, 2018
Ted Cruz keeping it classy in 2018. Of course we should expect nothing less from Donald Trump’s lap dog. https://t.co/Mi2xSAawDl— James Kosur (@JamesKosur) October 24, 2018
Cruz’s “double occupancy” joke harkens back to another of his multiplier-themed insults of O’Rourke: that he was a “triple-meat Whataburger liberal.”
H/T Mother Jones
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]