- You can now perform Marvel plays with your school theater group 8 Months Ago
- Trans/Sex: Strap-ons for trans women, inclusive porn games, and online dating 8 Months Ago
- Why UFC 239 may be the PPV event of the year Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Cruz’s ‘double-occupancy cell’ joke is the new ‘triple meat Whataburger’ attack.
While attacking O’Rourke over a lack of support for Israel, a woman shouted at Cruz to “lock him up.”
Cruz—who once was the staunchest Never Trumpers in the Republican Party—instead of dismissing the cry, leaned into it, looping O’Rourke in with former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who Trump frequently demands to be jailed.
“Well, you know, there’s a double-occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said.
It should be noted that voting “no” on funding a missile defense system for Israel is not an arrestable offense.
Cruz at least seemed aware that his response was maybe a mistake.
“Y’all are gonna get me in trouble with that,” he said, according to Mother Jones. “They’re not gonna cover anything about taxes or anything else, that’s gonna be the entire news broadcast.”
Ted Cruz joked that his Democratic challenger, Rep. Beto O’Rourke, should be thrown in jail with Hillary Clinton. Read more: https://bit.ly/2AoFsLe
Posted by Mother Jones Video on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
Cruz’s remarks were decried online.
So Ted Cruz is threatening to put Beto O'Rourke in prison? In prison with Hillary Clinton, apparently? Things are accelerating. https://t.co/L68wwUTTb0
— Ken Layne (@KenLayne) October 24, 2018
— Bruce Logan (@BruceKLogan) October 24, 2018
The level to which politicians will stoop when discussing their political opponents tells you all you need to know about them — Ted Cruz says Beto O'Rourke can have "double occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton" after supporter yells "lock him up" https://t.co/5R70fLeMxq
— Jana Lynne Sanchez (@janasanchez) October 24, 2018
Ted Cruz keeping it classy in 2018. Of course we should expect nothing less from Donald Trump’s lap dog. https://t.co/Mi2xSAawDl
— James Kosur (@JamesKosur) October 24, 2018
Cruz’s “double occupancy” joke harkens back to another of his multiplier-themed insults of O’Rourke: that he was a “triple-meat Whataburger liberal.”
H/T Mother Jones
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]